Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Faye Wong's red cord



I was watching this video clip of mega-star diva, Faye Wong, singing one of her signature songs in her concert a couple of years ago.  I noticed that she was wearing a red cord on her right hand. It was not a surprise to me because she is also a Tibetan Buddhist and presumably this red cord was given to her by her guru, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, who is also my precious guru. I am a little surprised yet happy that she wore it during her concert. So blessed. 

In the tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, the red cord is called a "protection and blessing cord." Traditionally, a lama ties a knot in the cord, then prays over it and blows the power of mantras into it. Then he places it around one's neck as a blessing.  The cord is symbolic of remaining within the protection of our guru's compassionate embrace even after departing from his physical presence. Do not belittle the blessings of such a mere red cord. I myself wear red strings from my gurus as blessing and protection. If you receive a red cord from a lama, especially from your personal gurus, wear it or keep it properly. 
Objects touched or prayed over 
by holy beings are believed 
to be imbued with their 
spiritual energy and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...