Tuesday 27 January 2009

Out of the norm

Went visiting a few households today. This year we did some things which were a break from our annual routine. (Hope that because of this, this year, things would also be happening out of the norm for me in a positive way. I would like to get out of the rut and routine lifestyle and change for the better).

First, we went to a grandaunt's house which I have never been to. This grandaunt and her children used to dote on me as a kid because they were also my neighbours in the old shophouse in Cecil Street. I felt bad I did not visit her in her house before.

Went to another elderly aunt's place in Tiong Bahru. She has just moved to a new flat. Wow the view from her 25th storey house was splendid, garden below, and opposite, were a row of flats painted with "118" starting from blocks A to D. I commented, wow you see "118" everyday! 118 in cantonese means everyday prosper.

Another break from norm this year was, I visited an uncle who has suffered a stroke and recuperating at home. This uncle is my father's younger brother and he visits us during CNY every year except this year. He was so touched to see us that he shed a few tears.

Another out of the norm thingy was, we did not visit 2 aunts. One was because her husband had passed away a few months ago and we could not visit. Another was on holiday.

Other than the above, the routine thing was to visit my maternal Grandma. A group of aunties and uncles and cousins gathered there for the rest of the day. We lazed there. We chit chatted, ate and played blackjack (I only know how to play blackjack). I did not win nor lose. So not much damage done.

And this is another red top I wore today, a very "ang ang" red packet top, so that I will have a "heng heng" year. My mom's family surname is Heng. "Heng" in hokkien and teochew means "lucky". So all my uncles and aunties are guaranteed to be "heng" for life. Hehehe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...