Monday 17 August 2009

Hawker haven

Some hawker food I had the past 2 weeks. I'm so thankful that in Singapore I could find all sorts of cuisines and variety of hawker food to satisfy my whims and fancies.  These here are just a tip of the iceberg....
Passed by this Satay Bee Hoon stall one day and immediately ordered a plate because I have not taken satay bee hoon for a loooooooong time. The ingredients were quite simple - kangkong, cuttlefish, pork slices, tau pok (fried beancurd skin), beansprouts and liver slices. Usually we eat with bee hoon (it's called Satay Bee Hoon, right?), but you could order the yellow noodles too.
All the ingredients were cooked or steamed and added on top of the bee hoon.
And this is what Satay Bee Hoon looks like. The most important of course is the satay sauce, which is made of peanuts, hence satay sauce is usually a little sweet. With the kangkong, cuttlefish and beansprouts, it made the dish tastes crunchy yet sweet with the sauce, liver and pork.
It's my almost weekly habit to order a good plate of Wanton Noodles. Nowadays I don't mind having it without chilli, just with a little ketchup will do, because the steamed wanton, fried wanton and the charsiew slices are more than sufficient to bring out the flavour of good old wanton mee.
Long time I did not take 猪杂汤 Mixed pork liver soup. This is usually taken with plain rice. The taste of this soup is unique because it is brewed with salted veggies so it is appetising. The ingredients in the soup are pork slices, pork liver, pork balls, veggies, tofu cubes, innards etc....  Thank goodness they do not add pigs' blood cubes nowadays, because I absolutely hate the taste when I was young.
My favourite Char Siew Siew Yoke Rice. Char siew is the red coloured sweet pork slices and Siew yoke is the roasted fatty pork. I like siew yoke because they are really fragrant and the crispy in the outer layer. With good chilli, they are fantastic.   
This bowl of Pork Rib Ramen is only so-so. While the pork ribs were tender, the ramen was hopelessly soggy with the starchy gravy. Would be better if the noodles was more chewy.
This is one good Bak Chor Mee stall in Lavender Food Square near Jalan Besar. Felt like having something soupy that day, so I ordered the Bak Chor Kway Teow Soup instead. They were generous with the ingredients liver, pork, pork balls, minced meat, mushroom. I really really like the slightly darker than usual soup. It was recommended on TV too.
Sometimes when I eat in hawker centres, I like to add on Guo Tie (fried dumplings) or Shui Jiao (steamed dumplings) usually sold by chinese hawkers from China. It is wrapped with minced pork inside, and we dip it into vinegar with ginger.
I actually like to cook instant noodles at home sometimes. Even though we are a hawker haven in Singapore, sometimes I still don't know what to eat! So I will resort to cooking instant mee, adding the occasional egg and luncheon meat or bacon. Yummy!
I love chocolate cake, tiramisu and the likes, compared to fruity cakes. However this chocolate cake I had at a coffee joint was horrible. It was dry and had the taste of coconut more than chocolate!  And I do not like coconut! Oh well.

Ok, with all these sinful food, I would like to announce that I will be going on a vegetarian diet for the next 100 days (err, I am serious!).  Whilst I have not taken beef for the past 5 years, I realise that in my daily diet, there is still much red meat like pork (you see the above dishes). So I have decided to turn vegetarian for a while. Stay tuned to more of my vegetarian finds (if you have a veggie palate, that is!  Ha!). Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...