Wednesday 15 September 2010

That brief few seconds...

This week is the arrival of 2 great lamas.  Khen Rinpoche Lama Lhundrup, Abbot of Kopan Monastery, has arrived the past Sunday night and will be giving teachings in Amitabha Buddhist Centre.  Also the Healing Lama, Kangyur Rinpoche, will be arriving this coming Friday. There will be a series of public and in-house program in Dro-Phen Ling. Many of us  are indeed very fortunate to have great masters visiting and to give us teachings in these degenerated times. Those who have the affinity and connection with these gurus are indeed blessed.

Tonight I attended Khen Rinpoche's teaching. When I offered khata to Rinpoche, he blessed me and also did something that left me momentarily stunned and touched. It is not convenient for me to reveal what it was. But tonight, in that brief few seconds, I am very certain Rinpoche has the power to know each and everyone's situation or state of mind, without even having to know one personally. Perhaps my reaction was slow. It was only when I was on the way home, when I recollected the blessing, I really felt like crying. I was touched. 

Some non-Buddhist friends often do not understand the importance of having a guru and question the power of the gurus. Some are skeptical at the way we venerate our gurus. Maybe we need to see miracles happening before our eyes before we believe in something. Maybe I am not in a right position/situation to be more convincing. For example, if I am a very rich and successful businessman at the moment, perhaps people would naturally be curious to know what is the "secret" behind my success and be more convinced of the "motivating force" behind me. I have seen miracles aplenty of what great masters can do to help/heal many beings. But practising Dharma is not just about miracles. And Dharma is not just about making one rich. It is about training our mind. When our merits have ripened, we would be able to find and meet our guru, our quinessential spiritual guide.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche said, "The Buddha is like the hot sun and the guru the magnifying glass. Without the magnifying glass, the sun cannot produce fire on its own. Likewise, blessings from the Buddhas cannot be received without the presence of your guru".

I have met many gurus /great masters and teachers who came and gave me teachings and empowerments in the past few years. While all the great lamas are very compassionate, kind and selfless, there are a certain few special gurus in my heart who made me feel very blessed and touched and I felt so connected to them. I wish I am able to explain more on how I feel but one has to experience it yourself to know what I mean. May all gurus have a long and healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...