Friday 25 February 2011

My 三菜一汤 kitchen: Bak Kut Teh

I am trying to decide if I should feature my home-cooked  三菜一汤 yummies as a weekly affair in this blog. I do not like to commit something if it is not going to be regular. So let's see how it goes...

One of the days, I made Bak Kut Teh. We use ready packed Bak Kut Teh powder, and we usually try all sorts of brands, although I have a preference for Malaysia's Klang BKT spices. Besides pork ribs, I also add in fish maw, dried cuttlefish, wolfberries, chinese mushrooms, and cloves of garlic. Sometimes I also add in fried beancurd sticks. The end result is an awesome wholesome BKT soup base.

Sometimes we have grilled chicken wings. I insist on marinating them with sesame oil, light soya sauce, pepper, corn flour, cajun powder, and leave to marinate for few hours. And just before sending them into the oven to grill, apply a little butter on each chicken wing. Turns out to be wonderfully tasty.

A regular dish in my household - Sambal Petai Prawns. Mostly I try to get my mom to cook this dish. Ingredients include: petai, prawns, chopped onions, chilli sauce, homemade sambal sauce, tamarind, and a little salt. First stir fry the onions and sambal/chilli sauce till fragrant, then add in the prawns, cook till almost done, and throw in the petai for a quick stir. Note: cannot overcook petai otherwise it becomes bitter. I really really love this dish a lot, chomping the crunchy petai. I can finish the whole dish by myself with plain rice.  I like petai best with prawns, compared to fried ikan bilis.  

To be frank, I usually do not fancy long beans. The best would be cooking it with Sambal and Dried Shrimps. Otherwise, just stir fry the long beans and add in fried shallots with little oyster sauce. Another crunchy dish. 

This is how I have my dinner sometimes, all the dishes with everything heaped on top of plain rice, and with a bowl of soup!  Bon appetit and TGIF! 

3 comments:

  1. The Sambal Petai Prawns looks so nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken wings and Sambal Petai Prawns really made me drooled

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hong Wei
    Bro, that is my favourite! :D

    Old Beng,
    Next time I cook for you and CBL! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...