Thursday 11 August 2005

生老病死


Today was a weird day. In a matter of 24 hours, I heard news of birth, old age, sickness and death (生老病死).

Today was the 2nd birthday of my friend, Veggie's son. They came back for a visit a few weeks ago and just went back to Dubai. Her husband was posted there. I saw through my friend, the joy of having a baby and treating him as the ever precious gem she has ever possessed. As she experienced the joy of motherhood, we marvel at how a little gentle human being can bring with him so much hope and happiness of the future for his parents and to those who dote on him.

Today my mom's leg was in pain again. She is suffering from Osteoarthritis, also known as a degenerative joint disease or "wear and tear" arthritis. Almost everyone is affected by it to some extent as they grow older. And often the No.1 symptom is deep and aching pain. My mom has had knee cap surgery on her left leg about 2 years ago on her left leg. Now the right leg is also in pain. She will be going for the second surgery in Jan 2006. As I observed my Mom's slight limping and her face screwed up in agony at any slight movement, it pains me to see that she is indeed getting on in age. I often think when can I ever afford to give my Mom the luxuries in life.

Today I heard that my niece's babysitter has to undergo surgery. There was a tumour in her womb, which must be removed as soon as possible. We don't know if it was benign or not. And she is barely 50 yet. And her own younger brother who is only 40 has been diagnosed with brain cancer and he was undergoing treatment. He has been given 6 months to live. Why must human beings always suffer from some illness some time or another in life? When can we escape from the suffering of this samsaric existence?

Today, my aunt's mother passed away at the grand old age of 90. Seeing her lying there in the coffin, she looked calm and beautiful. She passed away peacefully. Just the day before, my aunt visited her at the Home. She had refused to eat her favourite fish porridge. Someone quipped: "Her spirit is not willing." However after some time, she pointed to the porridge, and she took 2 spoonfuls of it and stopped. She also sucked on her favourite Menthol sweet. Then my aunt wheeled her to the prayer room. She said her prayers and did the cross sign. My aunt said it was the first time she saw her mom do that. Normally she would just say her prayers. Her mom was a born-again Catholic. It was as if she knew her time had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...