Sunday 6 November 2005

Think Twice

Just saw a glimpse on TV of the gourmet program where Taiwanese host Zeng Guo Cheng took viewers on a tour of Qingdao cuisine. Along a street in Qingdao China, he came across a hawker selling cooked eggs of almost hatched chicks. Many patrons were squatting by the roadside savouring these eggs/chicks. It was probably a delicacy to them.

It was so gross looking at him eating the egg, poking at its visible body, feet, head and beak of the almost-formed chick, with feathers attached. It was totally heartwrenching to me. It was totally unacceptable to me that I almost puked. I was disgusted with the cruelty we humans resort to in order to satisfy our hunger or culinary cravings.

Then again, aren't we equally cruel to savour the normal egg yoke and white, even though it was not formed yet. And omelette, hard boiled, stir-fried, in whichever manner. And what about the chickens, in our burgers, in our chicken rice, in herbal soup, roasted, BBQ, in whichever manner. It really made me think hard. I am quite sad actually. We should never ever harm other humans or animals (unborn or otherwise). Although my present diet has lesser meat now than before, the show tonight really set me thinking and considering a totally
vegetarian diet. Those animals do not have a choice, but we humans do have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...