Saturday 25 April 2009

The great compassion mantra

Today is the new moon 初一. Just last night, I heard The Great Compassion Mantra 大悲咒 blasting from a CD stall while passing by a pasar malam, and it was in a dance mix version! Wow, what an upbeat way of chanting the mantra. It perked me up. I bought the CD for $5. I am still trying to upload this version.

This mantra was spoken by the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara (Guan Yin) before an assembly of Buddhas, bodhisattvas, devas and kings. It is the longest mantra which I am most familiar with and I could recite it from start to end. I learnt it from hearing it as a song a long time ago. Whenever I am in a lift alone, or felt down, or alone, or in some trouble, I would subconsciously chant/sing the entire mantra many many times over. I would say this is my favourite mantra other than 'om mani padme hum'.

This is one of my favourite rendition from Ani Choying Drolma. She has the most intoxicating, soulful and most healing voice.

If humans and gods recite and hold the phrases of the Great Compassion Mantra, then when they approach the end of life, all the Buddhas of the ten directions will come to take them by the hand to rebirth in whatever Buddhaland they wish, according to their desire. Reciting the Great Compassion Mantra can prevent and cure the 84,000 kinds of diseases. When recited with utmost sincerity, this mantra can prevent and cure all kinds of illnesses and diseases. Reciting it a full 5 times each evening is to wipe away your heavy negative actions of hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, tens of thousands of millions of aeons of birth and death.
Read here for the benefits of reciting this mantra.

Namo ratna trayaya, nama arya gyana sagara berotsana
Buha radzaya, tatagataya arhatay samyak sambuddhya
Nama sarva tatagatay bay, arhatay bay
Samyak sambuddhay bay, nama arya avalokitay
Shoraya bodhisattoya mahatsattoya maha karunikaya
Tayata om dara dara diri diri duru duru
Itay watay tsalay tsalay pratsalay pratsalay
Kusumay kusumay waray ili mili tsiti dzola
Apanayay soha

2 comments:

  1. My cha-bo-lang is also able to recite 大悲咒 from start to end, I can only do it by reading it from a book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...