Sunday 26 April 2009

Weekend laze

Nice weekend with nice food. Sis brought me to this shop in Bencoolen, selling what Taiwan is famous for - shaved ice. The shop is called Ice Monster. Their version of shaved ice was a little different from our local Ice Kacang which consisted shaved ice dripped with gula (brown sugar), syrup, condensed milk, red beans, jelly, attap seeds and peanut powder.

Ice Monster's shaved ice was really a monster version - which included fruits and milk and sherbet. We ordered the popular versions, durian and mango with ice mango sherbet and the other was strawberries, kiwis and mango with ice mango sherbet. I am not a very fruity person when it comes to desserts (I
prefer chocolates and sweet rich stuff like ice cream, brownie, choc cake, tiramisu etc..). I like to eat fresh fruits on its own without all the added sauce or condiments in desserts. I tried the durian and mango Ice Monster and did not touch the strawberries and kiwis. It was quite nice and thirst quenching for a very very hot day.

I snapped the beautiful sky at noon. It was like a Divine One was descending upon the earth. Haha. It was a very very hot weekend, too hot to do anything else but laze.

I was at Marine Parade over the weekend as well. I used to frequent the hawker center there when I was working in Parkway Parade many many years ago. I liked some stalls that used to be there - chicken rice stall, char kway teow stall (wet version), nasi padang stall, and mixed veg stall there. For brunch, I ordered the Mee Rebus from a Malay stall. Mee Rebus is another Malay dish I liked which does not have meat. The dish is made of yellow egg noodles with a spicy slightly sweet curry-like gravy. The gravy is made from potatoes, curry powder, water, salted soya beans and peanuts. The dish is garnished with a hard boiled egg, calamansi limes, spring onions, Chinese celery, green chillies, fried firm tofu (tau kwa), fried shallots and bean sprouts. Yummy! And I down my Mee Rebus with a large refreshing pineapple drink!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of food, it'll be a real breath of fresh air to everyone should any of the food bloggers /reviewers/tv program feature other authentic malay foods like Mee Siam, Mee Soto, Mee Rebus, Gado Gado etc

    There's just too many satay/ayam penyat/Nasi Lemak reviews out there.

    Just tot that an acidic drink like lemonade would be more appropriate to wash down a mild spicy food ,like mee rebus, with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe those dishes are deemed too simple for mention.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...