Friday 22 January 2010

A feline phobia

I know there are many cat lovers out there, and even those strays in Rome are so very good looking felines. But I have a confession. I have never feel much for cats as compared to dogs. In fact I still do have a little phobia of cats. So I do not usually try to go near one. Especially while eating in hawker centres, I would usually keep a look out for stray cats hovering under my table waiting for food. I would jump if I feel a slight touch of fur rubbing against my legs. And I would not be able to focus on my food afterwards.


Well, I do have a reason for my phobia. When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I usually hang out with another kid who was my playmate. Mui was my next door neighbour as well as my relative. By right in terms of status, she is considered my aunt but she was only 2 or 3 years older than me.

We used to live in an old shophouse in Cecil Street where the Prudential Building stands today. We stayed upstairs a shop selling spices. Usually we would play upstairs along the common corridor and dim staircase.

One day while we were hanging around at the staircase, we were playing and watching some coolies or men moving sacks of spices from the truck into the shop. We noticed a cat at the steps, a big fat fierce looking black cat with stripes. Mui wanted to shoo it away or something as we wanted to go upstairs and the cat was in the way. Probably she was making monkey faces at the cat or poking the cat with a stick or something, that it suddenly lunged at Mui. It clung to Mui's legs like a koala bear and scratched a few bloody lines across her legs. And still the cat clung to Mui's legs. I witnessed this while Mui was screaming in pain. It was such a fierce vengeful cat. As blood was oozing out of her legs, I stood frozen, horrified for quite a few moments. Then an adult came and chased the cat away. Mui was still crying and screaming. It was such a distressing horrific sight that I can still remember it vividly today.

That is why till now, I do not dare to go near a cat, much lest touch one, and I especially shudder at the sight of those black cats with green piercing eyes. Now you know why I hate cats. The phobia is still there.

2 comments:

  1. Aiyo. I thought phobia diminishes with time. i was chase by a dog once but I didn't give much thought. My MIL have 2 cats and I have to feed my cat sisters once in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the phobia is still there, although slowly diminishing...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...