Saturday 18 December 2010

R Burger at Hitachi Tower

One day, a late afternoon appointment brought me to Raffles Place. I had had brunch at about 11am that day, I was not hungry until after the appointment ended at 5pm. As I was walking passed Change Alley at Hitachi Tower, I chanced upon this place.

It was R Burger. For a moment, I read that as Rice Burger, and I like rice burger aka. MosBurger style. I was curious how their rice burger was like. It turned out that they do not sell Rice Burger.  R Burger is Revolution Burger, a Japanese concept to promote a healthier way of consuming hamburger.  Instead of the usual hamburger, the buns used are white colored steamed buns, very much like our Chinese style of Kong Ba Pao.

The wall mural and the place looks friendly and cosy with high ceiling, at the corner of Hitachi Tower, where the former location of American Express Bank used to be. Its location is excellent and it should attract many a lunch-time crowd of working professionals nearby.  

Here is how a typical Combo set in R Burger looks like.  You get a burger, a drink, and a choice of Potato Wedges or Salad Stick.  And as I looked at the menu, they have interesting entrees like Chicken Ume Burger, R Burger, Avocado Cheese Burger, Salmon Burger, Tofu Burger, and Teriyaki Chicken Burger.

I was wondering how the Salad Stick was like, so I ordered it. It turned out it was chopped lettuce, cabbage, carrots wrapped in a thin rice paper popiah skin, not unlike the Vietnamese BoBia. It was a little messy to eat with all the veggies bursting from the popiah skin, and they did not provide any cutlery. It was just plain veggies with a little salad cream.  I should have chosen the Potato Wedges instead.

This is my Tofu Burger. Again I wanted to try how their Tofu Burger taste like, after my previous attempt at making my own Tofu Burger. Nice and neat packaging.

Tadah!! This is their special white buns which are exceptionally softer than normal hamburger buns. It looked unique with the tofu patty sandwiched in between. I understand that R burgers are topped with their own special Japanese sauces like the R sauce, the Ume or Ankake.

Unveiling the Tofu Burger! Do you know that another special feature of R Burger is its use of marine collagen as part of its ingredients?  R Burger is the first hamburger cafe to  have collagen in their buns. We know that collagen helps to stimulate collagen production in our body, hence reducing the effects of wrinkles and fine lines, and encouraging skin renewal. I was like... wow! A little less guilty in eating this burger, perhaps?

My first bite of the Tofu Burger, I was impressed. The buns were warm, and the tofu patty was so juicy with a little spiciness in the sauce. It turned out their Tofu Burger included shiso leaf, daikon and tofu patty, and that spicy sauce was their special ma-po sauce. I like this healthier alternative for a burger.

This was my Peach Tea. Among their Latte and Cappucino, I discovered they have pretty interesting and healthy choices for their Tea as well, for example, Buckwheat Tea, Oolong Tea, Black Tea etc.. All their teas contain flavenoid, which is a type of antioxidant which can reduce the risk of cancer and heart diseases. 

R Burger is located at these 2 places :
16 Collyer Quay, 01-05A Change Alley (Hitachi Tower) Singapore 049318.
ION Orchard, A|X Armani Exchange Ion 2 Orchard Turn, Singapore 238801.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...