Wednesday 29 December 2004

Sweetish memory

My Gong Gong (Mom's dad) passed away when I was only 2. Yet I can still remember something about him. That scene seemed so far away now, yet remained vividly etched in my memory.

I remember myself as a 2-year-old toddler at Gong Gong's huge attap house, playing, wandering about. Walking towards Gong Gong's bedroom, I flung open the curtain at the door. He was lying on a huge huge antique bed. He was bedridden, having had his leg amputated due to advanced stage of diabetes.

I remember his broad high forehead glistened with sweat, his normally huges eyes very tired. I remember him waving his hand weakly, beckoning me towards him. I remember myself climbing, tumbling, struggling up a step at the bedroom door. And when I finally reached the bedside, I remember him putting a sweet on my small chubby palm... and a feeble smile. That's all. That was the one and only recollection I have of my Gong Gong. I can't say that I miss him because I was still so tiny then. All I can say is, I still remember that scene....

Anyway, Gong Gong died at the age of 49. Damn young!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...