Tuesday 27 November 2007

The Hugging Saint


It has been a habit for me to document down some of my significant dreams so that I won't forget. Last night I dreamt of The Hugging Saint - Amma.

Frankly I only heard of Amma last year from an Indian colleague when she visited Singapore. I have not met her personally. And yet last night, I dreamt of her. I was on top of a plank which was floating precariously along the river with huge currents. My bare hands were desperately trying to stay afloat. Then I reached an old looking house. I entered into a big room which was like a classroom, with chairs and small desks. I saw many familiar buddhist friends finding seats. There was supposed to be someone coming for teachings. So I also took a seat. Then Amma appeared, in her white sari and quite neatly combed bun. She gave a huge smile and proceeded to sit down on a chair in front. Then she kept on smiling, What happened after that I could not remember.

I was mystified because I do not know this Indian lady personally, never met her before, do not know what she does. I do not know anything about her or her work. I only know she is a humanitarian and spiritual saint.

For the past 35 years Amma has dedicated her life to the uplifting of suffering humanity through the simplest of gestures – an embrace. In this intimate manner Amma had blessed and consoled more than 30 million people throughout the world. Amma spends most of her waking hours receiving the distressed and all who come to her for comfort, day after day without a break. Amma sustains a beaming smile while lovingly embracing one after another. She welcomes every person who comes to her, listens to his or her problems, offers advice and guidance, and brings reassurance to a troubled heart. When Amma embraces or kisses someone, it is a process of purification and inner healing. Amma listens to our spoken words and unspoken thoughts, hugs the devotees and whispers a word or two in their ears. With each hug and smile, an obvious spark of her own energy is passed along. The bliss and tranquility of being in the Amma's presence is unique and indescribable.

The greatest miracle that takes place in her presence occurs in the hearts of those who come to her – the gentle, gradual awakening of love, compassion and selflessness, an awakening of one’s own inherent divinity.

"The first step in spiritual life is to have compassion. A person who is kind and loving never needs to go searching for God. God rushes toward any heart that beats with compassion - it is God's favorite place." - Amma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...