Friday 9 January 2009

Chinatown shopping

These are the stuff you see when you visit Chinatown during this period - everything is targeting at the Chinese New Year crowd of course. There are many rows and rows of shops and stalls and the crowd is growing bigger and bigger as the CNY draws nearer. They are peddling all the stuff people buy for CNY - food stuff, clothes, flowers/plants, decorative stuff etc. However I do not think that all the stalls are doing that great a business due to the economic crisis. The people are just there to soak up the atmosphere and perhaps to feel the festive mood. Of course tourists find it a delight to shop and enjoy the festive sight too.

I normally visit Chinatown at least once during the CNY period with a friend but I forgot if I went last year. Although I may not buy anything, it is a habit for me to visit Chinatown during CNY.

And normally when I am there, I will drop in to this restaurant called Holland Village XO Fish Head Bee Hoon, for their said specialty. The bee hoon is served with big chunks of fish or fish head, and together with the milky soup which has a taste of XO in it. I like it because of the XO and I will finish every single drop of the soup. They also have fried kway teow with fish (San Lao Horfun) and other ala carte dishes like Prawn Paste Chicken, Sambal KangKong, Prawn Rolls, Fried Beansprouts etc.

This time I also tried the fried Sambal Shell Fish (tua tao) too. Somehow since 2 years ago, I find their standard has dropped a little. Still it has become a habit to patronise this restaurant whenever I am in Chinatown. And old habits die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...