Saturday 10 January 2009

Goreng me?


As today Friday was the start of weekend, I attempted to cook my first Mee Goreng for dinner - with ready-made paste of course. Mee Goreng is a popular malay-indian dish in Singapore. However I do prefer the Punggol Mee Goreng, owned by the Chinese.

I made do with whatever ingredients I could find in the fridge which were stuff you normally include in Mee Goreng. I chopped up all the ingredients into small cubes; tomatoes, onions, potatoes, cabbage into thin slices, shelled prawns, sliced pork, carrots, peas and corn, and cracked 4 eggs and had them beaten.

Then I heat up the wok with oil, and fried the beaten eggs till it was slightly cooked before I threw in all the other ingredients. Then I stir fried them, before adding the pork and prawns. Another 2 minutes later I added the yellow noodles and fry them for a few minutes. The final step was to add in the mee goreng paste and water. I prayed the way the n
oodles would turned out would be what it looked like from the recipe box. It turned out better looking than I expected - a bit moist (which was what I like my mee goreng to be) and with lots of ingredients. I cooked 2 batches of the mee goreng.

Overall taste was not too bad I guess, since it was my first attempt and I did not have to do anything with the seasoning (with the ready paste). My main little grouse was the taste of the dish tasted a little powdery - maybe because I added the Extra Hot Chilli Powder which was included in the box. And the other thing was, it would have tasted even better if the noodles had a little "burnt" taste, like those selling outside using a huge hot wok and fire. Otherwise, I think it was passable, full proof lah.

I am thinking of frying Char Kway Teow next .... ahem...

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...