Monday 5 January 2009

One-hour chef

Thought of relieving mom from cooking dinner tonight as everyone geared up to watch the 2-hours last episode of "The Little Nyonya". And I was craving for roti prata and curry. So thought I had buy dinner back, would save all the trouble. But I baulked at buying the $3 per masala drumstick from the roti prata man (he was trying to rip me off if I buy just one dish and how many drumsticks would I have to buy?!). So instead I went to the supermarket and got 1kg of chicken wings/drumsticks and 1kg of potatoes and one pack of curry chicken rempa and one pack of coconut milk. And packs of frozen roti prata. Yes I decided to cook them myself.

I peeled and cut the potatoes, and together with the chicken wings and drumsticks, I sauteed them with the rempa till aromatic (thank god I didn't have to prepare the rempa from scratch!). Then I poured water into the mix. There were some oil floating on top, I sieved them with my super-oil-siever scoop. Was worried as the concoction looked watery. Next I poured in the coconut milk. And I was so relieved to see the final stage, milky look of the curry we know! The big pot of curry chicken and potatoes were perfect. Niece kept stealing sips of the gravy.

Next I started to pan-fry the prata piece by piece. It was pretty straight forward. The prata dough should be still hard and frozen before you throw it into the pan. In 5 minutes, both sides turned golden brown and done.

I wanted more flavour, so I added egg into the prata which I split open. Finally the end product looked not bad at all. This was our dinner tonight, together with "tang yuan" for desserts.

It was my first attempt at cooking curry chicken and prata. The feedback was quite good actually. The curry was milky and not too spicy/oily, just nice for the kids. And the crispy prata was what they like usually. All in all, the preparation and cooking time took about an hour, which was no hassle at all.

Hmmm, what should I cook next? Babi Ponteh?
*hiak hiak hiak*

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...