Thursday 26 March 2009

Boiled pig trotters black bean soup

I have blogged before that I have been CRAVING for Black Bean Soup for like umpteen years. It has been umpteen months since and yet, Mom still have not made this soup. Fed up, I decided to boil it myself although I have not tried before. I liked the taste of black beans in soup, because it made the soup a little musky (or shall I call it "sticky" instead?) in taste. I had it last time and I loved it. I searched for a recipe from the internet. I know Mom mentioned must use Pig's Tail for this soup, but I could not find Pig's Tail in the supermarket, so I settled for Pig Trotters and the Front Hock instead. Here is my improvised version.

Ingredients:
About 600g of pig trotters & meat
1 cup of black beans
1.5 tbsp of dried longan
1 tbsp red dates (with core removed)
1 tbsp wolfberry seeds (gou qi zi)
Few slices of ginger (crushed a little)

Method :
1. Wash and soak black beans for an hour (ideally it should be left overnight)
2. Wash dried longan, red dates and ginger.
3. Stir-fry black beans over low heat until shells break. Dish & wash.
4. Simmer pig trotters in boiling water for 5 mins. Drain & wash.
5. Pour water into pot till 3/4 full. Add all ingredients. Bring to boil again. Then simmer over low heat for 3-4 hrs. Add dash of salt.
(Note: On the 2nd hour, take out the trotters and remove the skin from the meat and discard the skin. Then put the meat back into the pot to continue boiling).

I removed the skin because I was afraid the soup would become very oily afterwards. But it was still ok. I thought the meat from the pig trotters were supposedly more tender and would taste nice with the soup, rather than the usual pork ribs. At the end of it, my Black Bean Soup was ready! And it tasted very sweet, that I hardly needed to add much salt. I think I must be a closet Cantonese because I love all kinds of double-boil soups.

Nutritional Value And Functions:
1.The soup is good for the spleen, kidneys, spinal cord, heart, as well as replenish blood.
2. Black beans nourish blood, kidneys and the "yang", eliminate wind & help excretion.
3. Dried longan replenish blood & energy & has tranquilising effect.
4. Dates are good for the spleen, stomach & also relieve thirst.
5. Pigs trotters are rich in collagen, a protein (often found in beauty products) that is responsible for skin and muscle tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...