Thursday 26 March 2009

The beauty lies within (no lies)

In the series Perfect Cut 2, actress Phyllis Quek was Joey, a manager in a modelling agency, a super career woman who was aloof, no-nonsense, elegant and sophisticated. She did a good job in this character which was real and convincing. Phyllis has matured with this role in a good way. Her acting was pretty natural, portraying a character with spunk.

Phyllis' aloofness in that character and her looks reminded me of my form teacher cum vice-principal in secondary school days, Mrs Ng. Mrs Ng, probably in her mid to late 30s then, was a beautiful teacher who could not accept any nonsense. Being the VP and disciplinarian, she got to ensure she was strict enough in order to command the respect from the students. She seldom smiled. But when she did, she was a beautiful lady, alright. I remembered she taught us Maths and my golly, I was poor in Maths. Always in class, I would be day dreaming, or consciously auto-switched off. I was always trying desperately to concentrate in subjects like Maths and Science, but my heart was not in them. So during those classes, I was pretty stressed trying to focus. Mrs Ng called me to answer a question once, and as I stood up, I was completely blank. So instead of saying I did not know the answer, I just said we needed the calculator to know that answer. Surprisingly, she did not scold me, she said ok. Wow! I was let off, and I was so disbelievingly relieved, while my fellow classmates shot me that incredulous look. Hehehe. You see, I was pretty blessed in the sense that, throughout my school life, most teachers doted on me. Perhaps because I was very well-behaved, a bit "wooden" and innocent. (^o^)

Anyway, as I was trying to say, age need not necessarily be a bad thing for women. I believe, like men, women also do age like fine wine as well. I observed many "mature" women in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, as they get older (compared to their teens or 20s), there is a certain attractiveness and growing allure and aura surrounding them. Ask many a steady/sensible man, he would prefer the woman with a certain charisma that develops with age, and not just a "manja" immature sweet young thing who can pose more of a headache. Looks aside, it is the woman who maintains herself and carries herself well, with a certain special confidence that makes her attractive.

We as human beings, tend to place emphasis on outward appearance, rather than the heart. The ones with bestowed external beauty, are somehow "more noticeable", or rather, first impressions count. But they may not necessarily last. Anyhow, it is hard to be persuaded that true beauty lies within.


So regardless of whether internal or external beauty, we can grow beautiful with age. We should tap on our experiences, our feelings, our confidence, our peace of mind, to find that X-factor unique to each of us. I guess that is what makes us beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...