Monday 20 April 2009

Ala carte vegetarian please

This is my dinner tonight. Today is Day 3 of me being vegetarian. So far so good. I have actually bought some vegetarian stuff from the supermarket so that I won't feel deprived of the meat stuff. Besides fresh vegetables, I also bought some cans of mock abalone, straw mushroom, braised peanuts, Lo Han Cai, olive veggies. There are also vegetarian mushroom balls, oyster mushrooms, tofu, fried beancurd ......
This is stir-fry tofu with mushroom balls. Normally we are supposed to use minced pork with tofu in this dish. I replaced the minced pork and have minced mushroom balls instead. It is not bad actually, not much different, with or without the minced pork because the mushroom balls tasted a little like meat.
Another simple stir fry - Cabbage with fried beancurd skin and mock abalone. I always love cabbage because it tastes so sweet with any condiments. The fried beancurd (tau pok) was quite nice and juicy. The mock abalone is sweet and mom usually add this in cabbage anyway. So, my veg dinner with no fuss.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm mushroom balls sound yummy. Both these dishes look yummy, actually.

    I have a bag of friend beancurd skin but I don't have any idea how to cook it! There aren't any English directions on the bag. Help? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! For fried beancurd skin (tau pok), stir fry it with cabbage like this dish, with little salt according to your taste. You could also add carrots and meat.

    Otherwise check out this link
    http://www.1foodrecipes.com/chinese-new-year-recipes/braised-chinese-cabbage-with-tau-pok.php

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...