Monday 6 July 2009

Another day, another meaningful lesson

Decided last minute to attend the animal liberation on HH Dalai Lama's birthday today. Did not go out to sea to release the animals, but rather, went to the centre for the short prayers for them. To make it even more special, today is my birthday too, and my parents, niece and nephew decided to go with me.


We liberated a whole truck of 3120 kg of flower la la , 1240 kg of la la , 166 kg of mussels, 315 kg of chut chut and 40 kg of crabs, the total number estimated was 600,000 lives. We should rejoice for these animals and generate the bodhicitta and compassion for them, as these animals, being born in the lower realms, could have been our parents or someone close to us since beginningless times. We are creating the condition for their good rebirth in their next life as humans so that they can get to know the Dharma, and thus be enlightened.

I forgot to take photos, but here is one taken a few years ago when Lama Zopa Rinpoche was here. During an animal liberation, he was blessing many crates of crickets and crabs, saying and whispering extensive prayers and mantras and blessing the creatures. Rinpoche is a very compassionate guru.

Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life. - His Holiness Dalai Lama

Was out the whole day till evening. Had a nice quiet birthday with my family and the real nice cool weather. Usually I do not like to celebrate my birthday with many people or have any noisy party. Maybe I am shy and quiet or, I just prefer to spend the day with those close to me.

I received plenty of heartening wishes from many people - whether through emails, sms, Twitter, Facebook or calls - my buddies, friends, colleagues, new friends and even strangers. Ironically this year, the first one to wish me Happy Birthday was a stranger. He is someone I befriended. He was a semi celebrity of sort in his hey days and he sent me an email. I was just surprised by his thoughtfulness. This year I got to know many people, some of whom are prominent people in their field, who are strangers that turned out to be very kind and thoughtful, who went the extra mile to touch me with kind gestures. For that, I am very thankful. And even more ironically, there were a few close people in my life whom I was so concerned with not so long ago, who did not even bother.



An ex-staff who worked for me 5 years ago, sent me this eCard and a private message. So sweet of her.

I have learnt... yet another precious lesson about friendship, on my birthday. Through many ways and dreams, I know I am very blessed by the Buddhas as well as those who came into my life. Thank you!!! Om padmo unisha vimale hum phat!!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...