Monday 19 October 2009

Do you have a bizarre palate?

Once, I came face to face with a huge black spider on my plate and I did not even know how to hide it or myself, much lest to eat it. Many years ago, when I was in Beijing, I was really not used to the food served to me, what was some of their 'common' dishes. There was a vegetable dish which came dripping in purple colour soup (it tasted so raw and horribly bitter). For supper, I waited for almost an hour for a bowl of noodles and it came out cold and tasted uncooked and full of flour. Also there was this transparent jelly-like dish, which looked like cooked radish, but then the waitress told me afterwards it was "camel's feet"!!!!! There were so many different stuff that were served which I could not establish what they were in the first place, probably some unusual parts of some animals. Almost every meal, I gave up, and just drank coke. Eh, they even asked if I was interested to try dog's meat! I lost 5 kg in just 5 days in Beijing. 

Recently I was talking to a man in his late 40s or early 50s and he regaled me with tales of his younger days. He often ate "nutritious" food, delicacies which comprised of bear's paw, snake's blood, crocodile meat, dog meat, fried grasshoppers, kangaroo, turtle soup, fried spiders, bee larvae, roasted crickets, pigeon, monkey's brain etc... you name it, he had probably tried it, any parts of animals we normal humans usually cannot stomach.

We know there are plenty of unusual, nauseating and bizarre delicacies in Asia, but to have them placed in front of you and have you look at them is another formidable feat (at least to me). You could imagine the look on my face when he described what and how he ate them. I felt such a heavy sinking feeling and so so sad. Had wanted to show those bizzare food here but I don't want to lose my appetite. You can easily Google and see.
  
That dare-devil man told me that once, he even bought a piece of ginseng for S$28,000 and ate it cooked in some special herbal concoction!!! TWENTY-EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A PIECE OF ROOT !!!!!! He claimed the ginseng cleared his internal system and made him very 'energised'. Red Bull could easily have done the trick, right, Uncle? Or Tongkat Ali? I was thinking.... what an expensive poop thereafter!

3 comments:

  1. yeeeww =s my weight is 50 and i guess v much if i pop by to China (i've nver been to n boycott) my weight will dip drastically or i'll starve to death..mus bring own sufficient staples wen travelling..heh..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renee, that was many years ago, I am not sure if they are better with the food now? Actually I love Beijing for its scenery and historic places of interest, just that I am not used to the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. geez hope dey are...but not really adventurous to try their streetside food n specialities..my beau tot of gg to China n I'm ald frenzy to make plans to curb my appetite..haha..very kiasi la...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...