Sunday 8 November 2009

What would you wear on your body?

Was at the supermarket when I caught sight of this lady... or rather, her arm. She had a Guan Yin tattoo on her arm!!! And it was a standing Guan Yin with a halo some more. I was a little stumped and surprised. I know there are loads of creativity in regards to what tattoo you engrave on your body nowadays, but but..... Well, may she be very blessed!!!!


Then again, actually it is not that uncommon to have gods and buddhas on your body.....


Well, if I ever entertain the idea of having a tattoo myself, I think I would most likely choose this design.......

This is the sacred Tibetan syllabus "OM". As defined by HH Dalai Lama, "Om" symbolizes the practitioner's impure body, speech, and mind; it also symbolizes the pure exalted body, speech, and mind of a Buddha.

Or I might as well have this tattoo....
This is "om mani padme hum", the mantra of Guan Yin (Avalokiteshvara, Chenrezig). It is said that all the teachings of the Buddha are contained in this mantra. Tibetan Buddhists believe that this mantra (prayer) invokes the powerful benevolent attention and blessings of Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion.

It is again not that unusual to have these mantras on your body, as I discovered....


However, I am more conservative. If I ever decide to tattoo myself, I would choose just this part of the arm.

My virtual tattoo creations, nice or not?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard some thoughts on putting Buddhist deities on your body that think it's disrespectful, for example, if you have a Buddha tattooed on your back, and you, um, have relations, it's like you're doing it on the Buddha. And you'd probably never throw a picture down on the bed and do that sort of thing so it's a little questionable. It's an individual decision, I think.

    I personally wouldn't get a Buddha tattoo although I do have plans to get designs of some of Green Tara's jewelry tattooed on my wrists and ankles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does Green Tara's jewellery looks like? I'm also not in favour of having tattoos of Buddhas on the body.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...