Friday 26 August 2011

Mr President Sir

We Singaporeans will be going to the polls again tomorrow on 27 Aug 2011. I believe this Singapore President Elections is the most exciting one so far in the history of electing a President. We see hot competition from 4 potential candidates and their surname is Tan.  

One of these Tans will become our new President tomorrow. From left to right, Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Mr Tan Jee Say, Dr Tony Tan and Mr Tan Kin Lian.  There were so many jokes about just the surname alone.  They say for Tan Jee Say, who is from the Opposition camp, to win this election, it is "tan goo goo" (wait for a long time) or "ban ban tan" (again wait long long). 

Let's take a look at the candidates and their First Ladies... because a pair of the portraits would be hung in all the schools, government departments and institutions for the next 6 years.....

Dr & Mrs Tony Tan. He did not give me much impression except that he reminds me of the PAP government and the Minister he used to be. Also, the dirt dugged up these few days wasn't what I would like to know. But seriously, what's with using the trademark square-rimmed spectacles as his election logo? Need foresight much? 

Dr & Mrs Tan Cheng Bock. I can feel this man's sincerity and his point by point rebuttals to his competitors. I trust that he will be able to represent Singaporeans adequately and be daring enough to voice out to the government when things have gone awry.  He was the first candidate to mention about his participation in this election way before the General Elections. This shows he is committed and has done his preparations. And it helps that his wife reminds me of Mrs Wee Kim Wee. 

Mr & Mrs Tan Kin Lian. I know nuts about this man's background except that he is ex-NTUC honcho. He reminds me of my businessman uncle and better off in the corporate world making lots of bucks.  Yeah... high-5 ! 

Mr & Mrs Tan Jee Say. Kudos for his daring effort being the first potential candidate from the Opposition party to be a President-elect.  His election logo of a heart is really appropriate - the heart and pulse of the nation. The only thing is, his presence in this election reminds me too much of the recent General Elections in which the opposition fought a good fight. I prefer him to win in the GE as an Opposition MP who can check on the government rather than as the President of Singapore.

This blog post would not be complete without mentioning my 2 favourite past Presidents of Singapore - Mr Wee Kim Wee (top) and Mr Ong Teng Cheong. Both of them have passed away. I love Mr Wee who was so kind and benevolent, gentle and soft-spoken and definitely a people's President. And I salute the handsome Mr Ong for daring to speak up issues with the PAP government when he was in office. I deeply respect him even more the more that he was denied a state funeral. To me, these 2 Presidents are the perfect role model of what a Singapore President should be. I miss you both dearly, Sirs. 

I have already made my choice when I go to the polls tomorrow. I think the votes for a couple of candidates would be divided thus swinging and affecting the results. May the best Tan win.  If the wrong Tan goes into office, we can still vote him out in 6 years time, albeit $25.2 million later.....

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...