Sunday 1 March 2009

What a joke

I once told a young friend of mine, B, what I thought of her various suitors. But being young, B was flattered by those fellas, that she resented me for my harsh (frank) comments. But words by her suitors were all taken in by her - lock stock and barrel. I was the bad guy / cold blanket instead. I had told B they were not suitable for her. I think she deserved someone better.

True enough within a few months, Potential Boyfriend A found a new girl, and even faster, was finding a room to cohabit with her. So much so for a guy whom B had gushed about his fantastic photography skills, or how the bugger was trying to slim down because of her. Yet he was still smoking and drinking, something which B did not like. Coming from a traditional family, the word "cohabit" did not even exist. So what potential boyfriend was this?

Potential Boyfriend B, tall, dark (eye bags) and handsome, thought to be a great catch for B. All the sweet nothings trying to get closer to her. I saw just a cunning slimy man. True enough within a few months, he found a super duper pretty model-lookalike girlfriend, to show off during friends' weddings and gatherings, all right in front of B. Yet he still maintained he was "single", carried on drinking, smoking and partying. So what potential boyfriend was this?

There were plenty of others. But B was too nice and too docile to reject all the advances of those jokers. So they were motivated to keep trying because B did not say "no". They sent flowers, they sent hugs and kisses, they sent the whole world to her just to please her. But still, B was too nice to say no. When it was time to put a foot down, you have to put a foot down. But the foot she put down was to me because of my "advise". She blocked me in MSN. She refused to talk to me. She did not answer my calls. She did not reply sms. She avoided me like a plague.

I was hurt by that. The ones B should steer clear were those buggers, and not me, just another ordinary friend, who thought I knew her well and who thought we were true friends enough for me to be frank. Thought B treated me as a valued friend/buddy. Apparently not.

The latest I know about her, B is finally in a relationship, Boyfriend C. Despite our disagreement over her choices, I was concerned about B and did not want her to be cheated. Even an overseas friend of mine who could "see through the crystal ball" told me about B's situation. She advised "She is in a relationship now but it is not long term for her. I don't see her being in a long term relationship any time soon. She must be careful of the guy and she must make sure she does not give too much of herself to him. For you, you have to let it go because she never cherished the friendship the way you did. She has moved on and avoided you because she did not want to deal with the misunderstanding with you. She was not upfront with her thoughts. It is never easy to get over the ones we dote on and those who misread your good intentions. I wish it is easier to let go but unfortunately you can't just take someone out of your mind as you both should have been really great friends".

Well, I know I should have minded my own business. I was just trying to make sure B would not get hurt as she was a kind-hearted innocent person and she was searching for the right one who could stay throughout and true to the end. I know her current squeeze would not (let's see). It will be short-lived. For now, she is too busy chasing after her dreams, money, and travels with new squeeze. Maybe she just had to experience her first heartbreak before she knows who is suitable for her, while 1001 words from me to pre-empt were futile. I know me being the kaypoh one, our friendship is over, as she did not know nor appreciated the things I did for her in the past. I was too disappointed and insulted that B had forsaken our friendship, which could not withstand those misunderstandings and those insignificant buggers. Time did not prove anything. So much for our heart to heart chats and confiding in each other.

I hope I don't have to say again "See ...I was right". I will just mind my own business now. Our acquaintance was a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...