Monday 2 March 2009

Cooking its way into our hearts

In one of those days, I cooked these dishes for dinner with plain rice. Yes our family do not stinge on food, no matter how rich or how poor we were, we would always made sure there was sufficient delicious food on the table. And we would not starve our guests. We appreciate and enjoy our food, especially when food was eaten and enjoyed together as a family, bonding time. I think there is no better way than to eat and bond at the table the Chinese way. That is why home-cooked food always taste better than the food outside.

On the top left pix, this dish consisted of beancurd, mushrooms, minced meat, and a special salted vegetables from Taiwan. I fried the sliced 'tau kwa' (beancurd) first and took them out. Then I added chopped garlic and little onions, and stir-fried the minced meat, the salted veggies and mushrooms, adding in the beancurd again at the last step. It was not bad although it was not salty as I expected.

First time I prepared steamed garlic prawns. Medium-size prawns were cleaned with the shells intact. The sauce mix was more important - chopped garlic, salt, sugar, light soya sauce, a little sesame oil and "hua diao" wine (or brandy, but I could not find my brandy). The sauce was poured into the prawns and steamed for 10 minutes. And they were ready - fresh and fragrant.

I cooked my favourite asparagus and young corn again. This time I added beech mushrooms and my favourite ingredient, the bacon. Again here, the sauce mix is important - soya sauce, water, sugar, salt, corn flour. I steamed both the asparagus and young corn first. Then I seived them out. I stir fried the chopped garlic, onions, bacon and beech mushrooms for a while, then I poured in the sauce mix. And when the sauce was boiling I added some shallots. I poured the sauce onto the asparagus and young
corn. It was so crunchy and nice.

The last dish, curry chicken, was cooked by mom, the traditional way, meaning preparing lots of spices and ingredients from scratch. I would have used premix curry powder if I was the one cooking (hehe). Her curry chicken was very "tek kong" (out of this world) and quite spicy. But it was very nice as the chicken wings and potatoes were very tender. We usually like the curry gravy with plain rice or dip bread into the gravy.

As I mentioned before, I cook to relieve stress, and to discover new ways of cooking typical home-cooked dishes, or whenever I got sick of mom's cooking. So my cooking and my dishes only make special appearance from time to time. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...