Monday 2 March 2009

The whole truth and nothing but the truth

I like people who are frank with me. I dislike people who are not upfront and avoid issues simply by avoiding or by pretending nothing happened, especially if they are people whom I am most concerned with. And I especially dislike it when I was left 'hanging in the air' without even knowing the actual reason behind any disagreement or conflict with others. I do not like to be guessing, second guessing and making unfounded assumptions. Even when things could not be resolved, at least let me know the reason why, instead of just brushing me off. At least me and the other party can "agree to disagree" instead of not knowing why we disagreed in the first place.

This morning, I was sms-ing with someone whom I respected and looked up to, who normally gave me advise on and off. I wanted to buy her dinner or drinks one of the days as I owed her a treat. She told me it was ok, she did not need me to treat her and then told me the reason why. If she is reading my blog, yes I am telling you I appreciate that (for telling me the reason), instead of just saying no or even scolding me. Actually I already knew the reason she mentioned. I was just joking to her refusal "didn't know I was that unlikeable". She said how could I concluded that I was unlikeable just because she could not meet me, she said I was nice, and then she told me the reason why she could not accept my treat.

I was happy, not because of her refusal, but because she told me the truth. This was what I am driving at. Be frank, upfront, the truth. I do not take her answer negatively even though I got a "no" or even if I was scolded, because I already knew the truth. And because I knew the truth, I did not need to conclude or assume about the untruth. She then gave me another piece of advice. I appreciate that and I would strive towards that. I had been really frustrated and unhappy most of the time for the past 2 - 3 years, especially last year. I was 'lembek" (Malay for physically and mentally tired) for the past 2 - 3 years. I was squashed between truth and untruth, understanding and misunderstandings, love and hate, distinguishing good from the bad etc... But now I am already bouncing back to my old self. I just need time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...