Thursday 23 April 2009

Cappadocia!

Seeing Bryan Wong's photos (above) taken in Cappadocia, Turkey, in his travelogue program made me reminisce about the past. He has been to many places in that TV program and his photography skills (and that of his photographer's) were fantastic. I have been to Turkey many years ago but I did not managed to take that many nice photos although I developed a few hundreds. And at that time, there was no digital camera yet, so we could not see how good or how bad our shots were till we developed the photos.

Nonetheless, it was a memorable trip with my buddies. One of the many places we visited in Turkey was Cappadocia. Here were my snapshots of Cappadocia.
Cappadocia is Turkey's most visually striking region. It is the "Land of Fairy Chimneys" where erosion has formed caves, clefts, "fairy chimneys" and sensuous folds in the soft volcano rock.
This hill is nothing but volcanic ash called tufa, slowly being eroded by wind and water. Mount Aergius, the volcano near Kayseri, spewed millions of tons of ash into the air and it settled here. Slowly it eroded into the "moonscape" countryside that is today's Cappadocia.

I should not have worn a beige blouse that day, because I really blended very well with the volcanic wonderland in the background of the natural formation of soft white sand. Haha!

We spent a few hours admiring the eerily beautiful painted churches inside the caves that have frescoes dating from a thousand or more years ago. There was a monastery in the rocks as well.
While we ate ice cream and rested, I snapped this boy with his camel. He looked grouchy because we were not going to hire his camel. I bought a camel soft toy and lots of other souvenirs instead.

When travelling, I liked to snap people on the streets, hawkers, beggars, children, old people etc.. One interesting one was in one musuem or mosque (3rd photo), I was about to take the "botak" trees, I noticed this man was snapping me. So, I did one of him as well. You take me, I take you!

I will slowly show you the other places of Turkey we visited.
Those were the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...