Sunday 5 April 2009

A genuine gift

Accompanied Mom shopping and she was trying on blouses in Takashimaya. She took almost about an hour, choosing the blouses, marvelling at the different designs, plus an overly enthusiastic sales lady was on hand to ensure Mom discovered the "beauty" of EACH and EVERY blouse. After trying like 10 blouses, Mom narrowed down to 3 blouses, which I helped her choose. She was undecided which to choose as she quite like all three. So I said buy all, she said it was expensive and almost wanted to choose the cheapest of them all, and at the same time kept uttering "expensive, expensive". I told her if she liked all 3, I would buy 3 for her. She vehemently said "no, no, no!" I said treat it as an early birthday gift from me. Still she hesitated. Old people are like that. They just refused to let their children waste money. To them, everything is expensive. I told her it was ok, since she liked them, rather than I buy something for her birthday which she might not like. So with the help of a cooperative sales girl, she relented and let me pay.

I could see that Mom was happy with the purchase. Because I knew she really liked all pieces as the quality was good and the designs something unusual and more trendy than her normal garb. I could see Mom was genuinely pleased. So naturally I was pleased as well.

I have always been a person who liked to buy gifts for others, even if I have more money or when I am poorer. I would go the extra mile to find a gift which the recipient would like. When I buy gifts for others, I do not ask for anything or any favour in return. I do not just buy gift vouchers or just give an ang pow out of convenience (unless it was specifically asked for). I only asked that they genuinely appreciate the gesture and gift.

Once I bought a birthday gift for niece, something which I knew she would love to have. But she was not allowed to open the present because the mommy disallowed it. She disapproved the gift as it would be a great distraction for the girl as well as it was too expensive. Naturally the girl was disappointed. I was disappointed too because no matter how distracted or damage a gift could be, it was a matter of discipline which could be managed. Plus I had to spend more in the end, buying another gift.

Once, for Christmas gift exchange present and which the recipient wished for a pair of Creative speakers. I went high and low in search of the speakers. I found the model and bought another even better model of speakers at a higher price instead. I lugged the big box home, and had to wrap it with 2 wrapping paper and lugged it to the party. A little inconvenient but it was what that recipient wanted and I wanted to make the wish come true.

Another time, a friend lost the metal logo on her leather wallet of a known brand. It had dropped off accidentally and got lost. It was the first wallet she bought using her first salary in the company. Naturally she was a little upset. Not wanting her to feel the loss, I bought her another similar wallet on an occasion. She might have wished for another wallet by then, I was not sure. Anyway, all I wanted to do was to minimise her pain of losing that little metal thing.

Yet another time, in order to surprise a friend for her birthday. I ordered a bouquet of flowers to be specially delivered on her special day as it was a weekend and we would not be meeting anyway. I made sure I chose the type and colour of flowers she liked and specifically asked the florist to deliver early in the morning (I knew friend was going out). Who knew, she did not even get to see the flowers on the actual day, because she was too busy outside with friends. She did not even know. I was a little disappointed as it was meant as a surprise. To me, when I felt my gifts were not appreciated or the recipient did care about it at all, it made me a little upset.

Another time, I bought a christmas present for a guy friend. I bought some nice socks. Who knows, when he opened it, he thought it was some cheapo socks I bought. How I wished at that time, I really have bought those 3-for-$10 socks, since he thought it was cheap anyway!

Still another time, I bought a birthday gift, engraved it with the friend's name as well as "Stay Happy Always" as I knew the friend could do with a better model than the existing one. I just wanted this friend to be genuinely happy.

So when I buy gifts for friends or someone special, I really do try to make that person genuinely happy. When it turned out the other way round, I do get a little upset at times. Nonetheless, I would always ensure gifts were bought from my heart, and hopefully the person who received it, was really happy from the bottom of his/her heart, without questioning my intentions.

“The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention.” Richard Moss

And giving the person the due attention is how I show my sincerity, whether he/she appreciates or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...