Sunday 12 April 2009

Sweet memory

They say, the good die young. As I read the news about the passing of DBS CEO, Richard Stanley, I could not help but feel sad for him and his family. Mr Stanley has been diagnosed with leukuemia in January this year and within a mere 3 months, has undergone chemotherapy and the cancer was thought to be in remission a week ago. However, he suffered from infection which claimed his life early yesterday morning. He was only 48.

Although I do not know Mr Stanley personally, but from the news reports and people's personal encounter with him, I see him as a good and kind man. By looking at the photo of this man, you could tell that he was a nice, gentle, kind-hearted man. And it is always a sad thing to witness the passing of a good and well-liked person as well as a successful man. He was barely with DBS Bank for 10 months before he was diagnosed with the illness. But within the short period that he has served the bank, many staff and colleagues could testify that the boss was someone personable and affable to work with. So did all his ex-colleagues and friends and business associates over the years.

Rest in peace, Mr Stanley.

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day. - The Dalai Lama

His passing reminded me of my very own maternal grandfather. Gong Gong passed away when he was 49, barely 50. I think I blogged about this before, but I am going to mention him again. He was suffering from advanced stage of diabetes and had one of his leg amputated in the later stage. When he passed away, I was only 2 years old while my other cousin staying in Thailand was 1 year old. We were his only 2 grandchildren then. At that time, mom was pregnant with sis. If he was alive today, he would be happy to see all his 18 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.

My memory of Gong Gong is very blur because I was only 2. But I do vaguely remember a brief encounter with him. As a toddler I was walking around in Grandma's huge attap house. I remember I stumbled upon a bedroom, and pulled opened the curtain at the door (in those days, all the bedroom doors hanged door curtains for privacy). It was Gong Gong's room, and he was lying in his huge antique wooden bed then, awake. He saw me, he lifted his hand to beckon me in. I climbed the step at the bedroom door unsteadily (there was an elevated step to all the bedrooms then). Gong Gong's hand kept beckoning me towards him. When I reached his bedside, he pulled out a sweet from nowhere and gave it to me. That was the only recollection of my Gong Gong.

Gong Gong was the eldest son and he had a huge responsibility in running the household of 9 children (another 2 kids were given away at birth) and also the households of his 5 brothers as well as taking care of his mother (my great grandmother). I heard he was a very serious and strict father to his children. Although he was a businessman, you could imagine the tremendous stress and burden he was under to support the huge family. No wonder he died young. I hope my Gong Gong has already had a good rebirth by now.

This photo was taken on my parents' wedding day. From left, my Great Grandmother, Mom, Father, Gong Gong and Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...