Tuesday 8 September 2009

Sayur Lodeh

I cooked Sayur Lodeh 2 weeks ago. I have the Sayur Lodeh mix pack from Prima Taste sitting in my kitchen for a long time. So I decided to cook that for dinner.

I prepared all the ingredients I wanted. Sayur Lodeh is a vegetable curry, so basically you can add in anything you want. Traditionally, people add cabbage, fried beancurd, long beans and carrots. This time I used cabbage, carrots, french beans, tow pok (fried beancurd skin), potatoes.....
.... as well as mock abalone! Well, mock abalone is frequently used in chinese vegetarian dishes and it tastes sweet and juicy, being made from beancurd skin.  I used Kara coconut milk and chopped garlic as an addition even though accordingly to the instructions, you do not need these two items at all. I sometimes like to improvise on whichever recipe I see. Adding garlic and coconut would make the dish more fragrant and authentic to the real spices, I suppose. Next time I am going to try adding lontong (the Malay rice cakes)!
Cooking it was most easy. I fried the garlic with hot oil, and quickly added the premix (mixed with water), and fry them for a few seconds till boiled before throwing in all the ingredients. As the portion was quite big, I added a little salt. After the vegetables were half cooked, I added in the premix coconut powder as well as the Kara coconut milk. Then I left it to simmer for another 10 minutes and it was done! Sambal chilli was also available in the pack, so add as much as you wish. This was my dinner with plain rice, as I heaped on the veggies as well as drenched my rice wet with curry. Yums...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...