Thursday 3 September 2009

Why is muslim food so expensive?

Was at Republic Foodcourt in Wisma Atria again. Decided to have some Muslim food.
Ordered the Nasi Briyani (orange colour rice) and some dishes - eggplant, bergedel (potato), kang kong, and the fried bean curd with long beans (I always have this dish when I order Malay rice). And I was shocked that this plate of rice cost me $7.50 !!!  Plus there wasn't even any meat dishes! All veggies! And the food was really not fantastic in the first place. The nasi and all the dishes were cold. If I had not asked the lady to give me some hot gravy, the whole thing would be cold!  The bergedel was as hard as a rock, and the fried beancurd was not fresh. Only the eggplant and kang kong were palatable. Nowadays, I have heard many complaints that Muslim food is getting more expensive in hawker centres and foodcourts, mostly were over-charged. For a dish like this, it used to cost between $3 to $4. For a $7 price tag in a foodcourt, I might as well pay a little bit more to eat in a cafe or middle-class restaurant, for example, HJ Maimunah. This was really not worth it. Hrrmmpphh!

Was with a business acquaintance for lunch at a cafe. They didn't have many non-meat dishes on the menu. So I ordered the Pasta Salad which I thought should be nice for a change. My god, the pasta was quite hard (to me, it was like .... uncooked). They only have some veggies and olives and tomato). Hard to chew and swallow. I think my own Pasta De Vegan was better.  
The dessert saved the day. This was the Chocolate Souffle. Accompanying the souffle was a scoop of shocking red ice cream which was sour (not sure what flavour) and even more sour was the strawberries and blueberries. I am really not into sour stuff for desserts. To me, desserts should be rich and SWEET, like chocolate and tiramisu. The lemon soda drink was also horrible, tasted very bland (like the free glass of cold water with a slice of lemon they serve in cafes), no kick at all. Only the warm little bowl of chocolate souffle made everything a little better. Never going to order these items again. Double hrrmmppphhh!
I made the steamed Emperor Chicken for the family again! Well, I did not get to eat it of course. This time I remembered to take a photo. Judging from the feedback, I think this time the chicken tasted better than last time.  The meat was very tender and juicy and the herbal taste was evenly permeated into the meat. My niece loved it.  
This was my plate of veggies. I stir-fried asparagus with young corn, and brown button mushroom. It was very nice. I put a little extra more of the mushroom sauce for the seasoning to enhance the taste. For the rest of the family I cooked a separate portion of this dish, and added bacon too, which was even better.  Home-cooked food is still the best!!! Because if it wasn't nice, I can't blame anyone except myself!  :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...