Tuesday 22 December 2009

Foodie Confidential

This is my very own Foodie Confidential, ripped off Sunday Times column of the same title. Well, Singaporeans are passionate about food..... although I must confess, I am not a food connoisseur.

Are you adventurous about your food?
I'm not fussy about food, will try any cuisine for at least once and any dish cooked in different styles. I once tried a dish which tasted like transparent mushy jelly they called "camel's feet" in Beijing, still not sure what that was!

What is your favourite hawker food?
There are plenty, like satay, bak chor mee, black carrot cake, orh luak, etc...! But I would say my favourites are the dark Hokkien Noodles, our famous Chilli Crab, and possibly, BBQ Stingray on banana leaf with cincalok chilli.


What is your favourite fast food?
It's a toss between MOS Burger and Subway. I usually have scallops rice burger or ebi rice burger from Mosburger and sandwich with ham fillings from Subway. I do not take other burgers (besides chicken burgers) anymore because I do not take beef. I heard Wendy's is back in Singapore, so I might go and check it out.


What would you never eat?
Besides beef (I stopped in 2005), I would never eat fried insects, or monkey brain, or anything that is too bizarre or any living thing which is meant to be eaten alive.

What is your favourite home-cooked dish?
I have two. Sambal prawns with petai and steamed cod fish. I like the crunchy green petai (stink beans) which is slightly bitter (it purges out pungent gas/urine afterwards) but it is good for clearing body toxins. I don't get to eat steamed cod fish often because mom seldom buys it (too costly) and she does not like cod fish. But being someone who is not really a fish person, I would say cod fish is my only favourite. Steamed cod fish has loads of health benefits, has no fishy smell, and it tastes creamy and buttery. It is a great easily absorbable protein with no carbohydrate or fat.


What is your favourite cuisine?
I don't have a favourite, but I like Chinese, Japanese, Northern Indian, and Thai.

Which cuisine do you think is the most boring? 
I find Turkish cuisine a little boring.... lamb kebabs are usually too strong a taste for me. When I was in Istanbul, the daily usual fare served is either chicken or fish with little rice and raw salad (their rice is sweetish). The second most boring cuisine to me is Cambodian.

What are your favourite desserts?
Anything with chocolate, coffee, tiramisu or rum and the likes. I do not fancy fruity desserts. For Asian desserts, I prefer tang yuan (dumpling soup) wrapped with black sesame paste, and smooth almond paste (preferably from Hong Kong).


If you could invite anyone (dead or alive) to dinner, who would it be?
His Holiness the Dalai Lama. I would explore and source for the  most delicious  vegetarian dishes I could find in the whole world. Best is if I can cook for Him myself. I am sure I would get his immense personal blessings. Also, it is like food offering to a Living Buddha and I can ask Him many questions on Buddhism.


What would your last meal be?
My granny's simple minced pork porridge which is out of this world, and porridge is light enough for the tummy, before my final journey to another place....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...