Thursday 12 January 2012

Do you remember your childhood?

This clip brings back memories of our childhood in the era of 70s and 80s.



Remember those cute little autograph books which our friends would scribble with their wishes and drawings? Lying on the floor in my bedroom, I read tons of Enid Blyton books anytime of the day (we didnt have that much homework in those days). Enid Blyton books were a huge part of my life then and I think I read all her books.

My sis and I used to play in those playground tiled with dragon motifs or some designs and yes, they have sand! In school we played Zero Point and the monkey climb. In those days, we swim for fun and not to get some certificate. We played Five Stones, marbles and paper dolls. We snacked on sticks of sweetened cuttlefish, colored syrup ice pops, and Hawflakes sweets made from bing tang hu lu 冰糖葫芦. We chewed on bubble gum and 'tattoo' on our hand with its wrapper. We didn't blow water bubbles, we blew elastic plastic bubbles which were much more fun, that tube of goop that delighted millions of kids then.

I spent my evenings watching cartoon on TV; Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, Xiao Ding Dang, and the Three Stooges! I followed all the American sitcoms; Happy Days, The Cosby Show, I Love Lucy, The Golden Girls, Growing Pains, Mork & Mindy, Roseanne Barr etc... I followed all local Chinese drama productions like 我家住在大巴窑, 雾锁南洋 and so on. One of my first movies was Electric Dreams which was quite memorable.  I was also a Bollywood fan too, catching Hindi shows! It didn't matter whether I understood what I was watching at all.

I collected tons of stamps from all over the world easily because my grandfather and uncle used to have an import-export business, hence many mails from overseas. I caught tadpoles from the puddle under the swing when it rained. And sis and I played house with actual furniture.

My buddies and I would hang out in A&W chomping fries and sipping root beer. And who would forget shopping in the Yaohan department store in the old Plaza Singapura and feasting on Ponderosa buffet. 

How much of your childhood do you remember?  Here's one blog post to rekindle more of your memories - 100 things we love about the 80s.

1 comment:

  1. I miss Yaohan. Our childhood sure was sweet and I wouldn't trade our era for anything. My mum would say the same about her time in the 50's and 60's ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...