Thursday 19 September 2019

Going low carb with a twist


I've been on a detox for the past month, with low carb meals. Well, it was almost non carb all the way. I am not knowledgeable about the keto diet, hence I am not saying I'm on a keto diet, but I've been monitoring my carbs and making sure I don't do more than 50 grams of carbs each day (so that the body will turn to burning fats when there is lack of carbs to burn). So far I think it's been progressing great, I've lost about 4 kgs. Yay for small wins! 

Besides obviously slimming down, the other part of motivating myself to stick to the diet is exploring and cooking. I love to cook but don't have much time to cook. So how to keep to low carb meals in Singapore, where all the local food are so addictively deliciously laden with high carbs? For example, char kway teow, nasi padang, hokkien prawn noodles, laksa, kaya toast, roti prata, curry and the list goes on. Almost every dish screams 'HIGH CARBS'! 

I stick to a staple of eggs, bacon avocados in my low carb meals but there are only that many variations I can make them without getting bored sooner. Also I do not like salads which is so easy to put together. I prefer my greens cooked so I usually do a stir fry of my veggies. I also cannot do without my soups. Being Chinese, I love my lotus root soup, bak kut teh (pork bone tea soup), herbal chicken soup.... so I do have lots of soup meals. 

I used to snack before bedtime, like having biscuits, ice cream, cakes or chips. Over the past month, if I felt hungry at night, I would snack on peanuts. Gradually I found that I've lost the urge to snack too and I'm not easily hungry like before. For a treat I'm so happy to have found the brand 'Sugarless'  dark choc with extremely low carbs, no sugar and gluten free. 

I am so thankful I did not have any cravings for the usual hawker fare. It was only a little inconvenient looking for non carb breakfast at the hawker centre in the morning. So I ended cooking breakfast at home and even packed lunch to the office. For dinner I still have my usual dishes at home, just without rice. 

In addition to watching my diet, I've been on a 30-day Chinese medication of detoxing too. So I'm just trying to keep healthy. 

Here are some of my low carb meals. Bon appetit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...