Sunday 3 August 2008

Saucer-size chwee kueh

This morning my mom bought a pack of "chwee kueh" for my breakfast (or rather my brunch).

Chwee kueh 粿 is a type of steamed rice cake, a cuisine of Singapore. In Hokkien it means "water rice cake". To make chwee kueh, rice flour and water are mixed together to form a slightly viscous mixture. They are then placed in small cup-shaped containers that look like saucers and steamed, forming a characteristic bowl-like shape when cooked. The rice cakes are topped with diced preserved radish and served with chilli sauce. Chwee kueh is a popular breakfast item in Singapore.

However what I saw this morning, I didn't know that nowadays, chwee kueh is packed in a one bigger size bowl-like container (the left pix), the size of a small plate. Normally chwee kueh comes in few smaller pieces (the right pix) rather than one big piece. I supposed it is easier to eat this way, especially for takeaways. I must be really suaku (hokkien for "hill billy")!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...