Saturday 18 April 2009

My "junk" box

This is my treasure box of memories. Inside this box, I kept all the little special gifts which I received since my primary school days, as well as special mementoes of the past. I even have another luggage full of handwritten letters and postcards amassed through the years. I am a sentimental person who keeps little bits and pieces of me and my friends, although I do not like to keep clutter and junk too much. Uh-hum...I am pretty selective of my "junk". I hope when I am old and perhaps suffering from loss of memory, I would still recall the people from my past when I look at these treasures. Here are some of those junk.
1. This little booklet is torn, yellowish and tattered. It was given to me by a childhood friend Vanessa who lost contact after primary 6. I liked the Precious Moments cover and I used it to write down little quotes and notes. My love for quotes dates back all the way since.

2. This little black suitcase namecard holder and a pair of gold-plated ear rings were given by sis. I think it was when I just started working. I have not used them. Prefer to keep them. The message on the namecard holder is a verse from the bible "We have different gifts according to the grace given us".

3. This perfume holder from Royal Selangor Pewter was given by a friend many years ago. I don't know why he gave me this, and I have not used it too.

4. This mousepad was given to me by my Aunt S many years ago. At that time, the internet has just got popular and she customised this mousepad with my photo, taken at her house. Although it is just an old and dirty, sticky rubber now, I liked it because it is from Aunt S.
5. This little album contained post cards and photos of Princess Diana and her stamp collection as well. My friend Joan bought them from London like 20 years ago and painstakingly arranged them for me, because she knew I liked Princess Di then.

6. This pair of wooden combs were given to me and sis by my Aunt A. It was special because of the card that came with it. She wrote: "Thank you for seeing me as a person, a woman, not someone's daughter, sister, wife, auntie or girlfriend. Love from a very special friend and sometimes a stranger, A (24/12/1996)." My Aunt A is an artist.

7. Received this little red rooster stick from Miss Piggy which she bought from Taiwan. I think it was supposed to decorate plants. I did not use it. I prefer to keep it as a memento from a friend.

8. This old metal antique accessory was my late Grandmother's. I have no idea what this is used for. But while clearing Grandmother's stuff after she passed away more than 20 years ago, I saw this and kept it till now, as a remembrance of her.
9. These were my neck ties from secondary school and JC days. I happened to be a prefect and then head prefect in secondary school. I even have the badges for all these titles. And in JC, it happened that the uniform consisted of a neck tie too. So all throughout my school life, I was wearing a tie, that's why I can tie a fantastic knot.

10. This little pocket-size blue bible, The New Testament, was what I used to carry with me to school. This was because I was in Christian schools throughout, and usually we needed to attend compulsory weekly chapels and Bible Studies was also one of my O Levels subjects (I think I scored a distinction for this). Although I am a Buddhist, I kept this little bible as a souvenir of my christian schools' days.

11. This handmade birthday card was made by a friend a few years ago. It was special because it was handmade and I was touched by the time and effort spent. So I kept it as a memory of this friend who is no longer around.

12. These 2 little booklets were made by sis and myself 20 years ago! Inside were all the hymns and christmas songs. In those days, we used to plan and organise our yearly family christmas parties, before all our little cousins came along. I think we made about 20 booklets then for all our uncles and aunts. I even remember writing those white wordings with liquid paper.

13. This little palm-size soft toy was given by my buddy Veg in secondary school. She even made a tag with my name on the piggy's tail. Somehow, my 3 buddies seemed to have a fetish with pigs then, so they bought many piggy stuff. I think piggy stuff has grown on me over the years. Although I am not born in the year of the pig, somehow somewhere in my bazi, I am truly more piggish (I don't mean lazy, ok) - honest, quiet, loyal, and romantic, fun-loving, calm, sincere, tolerant, easy-going, loving, generous, good company, and will take time to listen to another's problem, has few enemies, but can be hot-tempered and go into rages when crossed.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...