Thursday 2 April 2009

The perfect stranger

I got to know a lady friend online - a perfect stranger. She is a very pretty girl who looks like a model or celebrity from Japan or Korea. She looks like a character out of a Qiong Yao novel (琼瑶小说). Naturally she has many online male admirers. I must say my first impression of her was not exactly flattering. Because she added many friends online (including me), I am sure almost 90% were strangers to her and probably 80% were men. One thing about the internet, there is a thin line between privacy and being very public. I saw many overzealous guys' comments to her, some almost lewd ones, which to a normal person, would have taken offence. I wondered what was she trying to do. I pictured a pack of rabid wolves hovering around a sheep, ready to devour their victim (hehe). Normally a good-looking person would avoid too much attention upon herself as she would have no lack of admirers. So I did not have a good impression. I asked "do I know you?" and she said she just wanted to be friends. Nonetheless I did not bother much because she was just a stranger anyway.

By chance I got to chat with her online. Out of curiosity, I asked her some questions - her nationality, her job, the industry she is in, some usual stuff. I actually even suspected her pictures were not the real her and I told her. And as I expected, she dodged some questions initially, or gave monosyllabus or one-liner replies. But through the conversations, I realised she gave one-liners, not because she was avoiding something, but she is a really serious and no-nonsense person. Someone with not much humour, someone who does not make effort for small talk, someone who does not warm up to people easily. So unlike her looks. She is half Jap and she is not in the entertainment industry, but someone who is very stressed and busy at work preparing reports and endless meetings. I even told her point-blank she sounded like a very serious person even though I have not met her personally. She was surprised and said "You also think so? People have told me the same thing." So unlike her looks. She said some people actually found her fierce when she is serious at work. And from her character, I gather she is a very quiet person, and I also checked out her birth details (Disclaimer: I do not profess to know about bazi, lest I am being scolded, but I do have the habit of checking and analysing people's bazi so that I can test whether I can get along with that person or not). To my amusement, what I gather was true. It is true she is very quiet and really serious, a person with not many words. That is why she is not and cannot be a sales person. She is really quite the opposite from what I initially thought.

Then the topic got into all those online overzealous males. I did not want to sound offensive so I asked a few questions indirectly until she kept asking "what you mean?", then she finally realised what I was driving at. Her reply "if I behave myself and be serious, people will not try to be funny." I was a little taken aback and surprised at her reply, as I expected her to dodge again. I told her to be careful. So after a few rounds of chatting, I think my impression of her has improved. She too, has lightened up and can even joke a little now. At one stage, she even joked at my question marks, and exclaimed "Are you giving me a job interview here?" Haha! She even told me "do not judge a book by its cover.' Yes I learnt a lesson well. We should not judge a person purely by his/her looks. It is the personality within that makes a person shines. I believe some people (be it strangers or loved ones or angels or enemies) are sent to us to teach us a lesson or two in life.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I also do not like to talk much, that's why I prefer to type out my feelings. I wonder what my bazi says though? I am born on 22 Nov 77. Heh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...