Tuesday 15 September 2009

Fish cake?

The Mooncake Festival or Mid-Autumn Festival is coming. Usually, instead of mooncakes, I actually prefer the "piglet" biscuits that are selling at the same time. I love these chewy piglets biscuits since I was a child. My mom would buy these piglets wrapped in colourful little baskets for me and sis.  As mom did not usually buy us that many piglets, maybe one or two each year, we really appreciated the treat. We looked forward to eating the piglets every year. So these piglets reminded me of my childhood years.

I like these piglets also because they are not as sweet as mooncakes which have red bean paste on the inside. Piglets are just plain chewy biscuits, and they are cheap too, priced between $0.50 to $1.00 each, depending on the size. A moon cake costs at least 10 times more than a piglet biscuit. Now we can afford to buy as many of these piglets as we like to eat.
The other day in Whampoa, I chanced upon these biscuits in the form of a fish. The texture of the biscuits was the same as those of the piglets. What caught my eyes were how they described the biscuits. They were labelled "Fish Cake". Hmm.... to us, fish cake meant something else.  Anyway, I bought a few of the fishes and they were quite nice - chewy and not too dry - just the way I like it. I might pop by to buy some more soon. They are selling in a bakery shop next to Whampoa Hawker Centre. Well, you can just look out for this sign "Fish Cake".

2 comments:

  1. those piglets, in my opinion , tastes just plain and flour-ly.But yes, these are nostalgic and have accompanied me on my children since the early 80s. god knows since when these piglets have been around for

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes not everyone is used to the plain tasting piglet but it's nostalgic to me too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...