Friday 13 November 2009

She who saves


I am back to having dreams every night, but this time, I could not remember any of the dreams at all. I know them as vague, no recollection at all. Stay tuned, till I recall something.

Every weekend, I attend prayer sessions or pujas, but each week is of a different Buddha / protector, and hence of different significance. Not too long ago, I was advised by a high lama that I needed a Tara puja (to clear obstacles swiftly), which the 1000 monks in the monastery back in India will conduct on my behalf.  I am thankful for that. Around the same time, I happened to cross paths with an Indian master, and without me asking, he advised me to offer a butter lamp to Kali (a Hindu goddess). Coincidentally, as I was told, Kali in some context, is equivalent to Tara herself!  It seems that in whatever circumstances, I am directed to Tara.


Tara is the Mother of all Buddhas, she existed even before Buddha Shakyamuni's time.  Buddha Shakyamuni knew Tara as the Great Mother, who is the adored, compassionate Mother central to all Tibetan Buddhists, and among the people of Tibet, Nepal, and much of Southeast Asia and the West. Tara is less known in Japan, China and Korea, home to Asia's Guan Yin.

According to the text, Tara was born out of the tears of compassion of the Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara (Guan Yin). It is said that he wept as he looked upon the world of suffering beings, and his tears formed a lake in which a lotus sprung up. When the lotus opened, the goddess Tara was revealed. In Tibetan, Tara is known as "Drolma" or "She Who Saves." In particular she represents compassion in action, since she is in the process of stepping from her lotus throne in order to help sentient beings. Mother Tara is said to help swiftly in clearing obstacles of those who offer sincere prayers to her.

For the past one month, I have been attending Tara pujas once or twice each week, and I always feel wonderfully at peace after each session. I am fortunate that there are regular Tara pujas being conducted in the Buddhist centres I go to. As advised by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, ABC conducts Tara puja every week, while DPL conducts Tara puja once a month as advised by Lati Rinpoche.

BTW, although today is Friday the 13th, 13 November is World Kindness Day. Spread kindness. Be kind to whoever you meet, humans or animals.

Here is the mantra of Mother Tara, sang so beautifully by Ani Choying Drolma, without any music accompaniment!  Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha!  May you be blessed!



And below is the version which I am very familiar with, and love very much, sang by Imee Ooi. Very healing.

4 comments:

  1. I love that video of Ani Choying-la. It's clear and powerful and you can feel the devotion in her voice.

    I also feel very close to Mother Tara. I really do believe she does wonderful things for sentient beings. Maybe she's our connection?

    May all your obstacles be banished! May all sentient beings experience true compassion. I pray that we will both see Tara's shining face with our own cloudy eyes soon.

    Om Tare Tutare Ture Soha.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, TMC! May you be greatly blessed by Arya Tara. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know why but I teared up very badly when I heard the Tara mantra sang by Ani Choying Drolma. I don't understand the context but something inside me was very deeply moved. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel! Thanks for listening to Tara's mantra! You may have some connection with Tara. Please do get to know Tara, she is known to eliminate obstacles swiftly. May u be blessed by Tara. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...