Monday 28 December 2009

What's cooking at home?

Caught "Life Transformers" on Channel 8 earlier and saw the plight of a real-life story of an unfortunate family. This weekly program finds some poor and needy families, showcase their hardship and what kind of harsh environment they are living in, and how through the help of the hosts, volunteers and kind-hearted public, assisted these families in improving their livelihood. I thoroughly support this TV program, because it reminds us that there are always people who are suffering and more unfortunate than us. It reminds us to be contented in our lives. It reminds us to lift a helping hand to those who may need our help.

Having watched the show kind of made me guilty because I was actually about to post some of the dishes I did recently, all simple home-cooked food in a typical Chinese family. We are here feasting and yet some people has nothing to eat. Tonight's episode an elderly father and 2 sons had to share a packet of rice daily. If they are still hungry, they drink lots of water. I won't mind cooking for needy people if need be or help in any other way. It makes me realise how lucky we are to have enough food on our table everyday, and to even indulge on other luxuries too. It makes me realise no matter how much we can help, there are simply many many others who are still living in unfortunate conditions who need our support. May people from all over the world who are suffering from illnesses or poverty right now, meet their benefactors and be able to receive a helping hand from the society. Hope that they can pull themselves up to carry on for a better future.

This is HK Grilled BBQ Sauce Chicken. Wanted to try out the BBQ sauce, so I chopped and almost minced garlic and onions and together with the BBQ sauce, marinated the little drumsticks for a couple of hours. Then before I grill them in the oven, I spread a little Char Siew sauce on top the drumsticks (to enhance the taste), and sprinkled some sesame seeds on them too. The smell of the sauce of the grilled chicken in the oven was so fragrant it filled the whole house. What came out were awesome juicy little chicken drumsticks with the sweet combined taste of BBQ and Charsiew sauce.

I usually cook dishes from whatever we have in my fridge. Usually I would mentally be planning each dish immediately. For Sweet Sour Potatoes with Stewed Pork, I originally had a few potatoes left, so I opened a can of stewed pork to be added into the potatoes and tomatoes. I used lots of chopped onions, together with a little vinegar, and some pasta sauce, to come up with a tangy dish. Next, French Beans With Minced Pork. I marinated the minced pork with sesame oil, light soya sauce and pepper, then I stirfry it with chopped garlic and the small french beans. The Cauliflower dish was a little failure. I used carrots and chinese mushrooms. I used the dark Mushroom sauce to fry everything together, hence it was a little too dark and dry but edible. The last dish was Sambal Prawns with Petai, my favourite, cooked by my mom. We have this dish pretty often.

Another time, I made Sweet Sour Chicken. I marinated the chicken chunks and dip them in corn flour before frying them. Separately I cooked the potatoes, carrots, onions and as well as mixing the sauce. Next was Steamed Cod Fish, which is my favourite fish. It was very simple, with just thinly sliced mushroom, ginger, and little chilli. For adornment, just add spring onions. So fresh and juicy. Sometimes I buy the raw salted eggs from the supermarket and boiled them. We eat it straight with rice. My niece loves it. Our regular soups are usually corn soup or lotus root soup which we double-boil for hours, with wolfberries, dried longans, red dates and ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...