Thursday 24 December 2009

The year we stopped having Christmas parties


Just realised I have not written "personal thoughts" for a while. In a way, it is good, because that means I am not feeling too nostalgic or angry or sad or anything extreme, to "inspire" me to pen down thought-provoking literature. Heh. I am just feeling calm and normal right now.

A couple of years ago, we always had office parties in my ex-company every year. And I remember each year, we would joke that our christmas wish was that we need not attend another party the next year (meaning some of us wanted to leave the company). Frankly, sometimes office parties can be a drag. You do not know whether the  someone you bought the present for the gift exchange would like the gift, and would I have liked the gift I received from the "unknown" person from the same gift exchange. It was also a drag if you "kena" being assigned to organise the small informal party, with budget constraint. I only enjoyed buying personal gifts for closer colleagues because those were the people I worked closely with and I considered them friends rather than just colleagues. Anyway I was glad when it was finally over (I left the company). This is the second Christmas I need not attend any office parties, and I feel so relaxed and carefree, because I am not a social butterfly. I prefer a quiet simple meal  and spend time with just loved ones and close friends.

This year is also the second year there is no planned family christmas party with my extended family. It can be rowdy with about 30-40 of us at one time. I guess everyone is busy with work and life (especially this year being the economic crisis year), some of us were affected and did not feel the mood to celebrate. Either this reason or no one wants to be the organiser, hehehe. When I was younger, sis and I always "kena" this responsibility. It is always like this, everyone wants to party but no one wants to do the shit work. There is also the huge hassle of buying gifts especially for the whole ging gang of kids and the grown-up teenagers who are mostly in or going into their 20s. Let's see how next year, maybe I will volunteer to organise again, if I am in the mood! :P

So it is weird come to think of it, 2008 was the year I stopped having all Christmas parties (not intentionally of course)!!!


The only 2 christmas gifts I bought this year were for niece and nephew. To me, kids should never go without gifts, because I remember when we were young, sis and I loved our little childish gifts alot.  This year, I let the kids choose what they want. So we went shopping. Nephew chose the thick and heavy newest edition of Guinness World Records 2010. He immediately started to regal me with all those amazing facts from the book. Niece chose many little cutesy Japanese items, like files, stickers, writing pads, writing papers and envelopes, all so kawaii. Plus one passport holder (or notebook cover) with all different outlines of heart shapes and designs which she is going to bling with crystals.

 
Our little tea-time snack from Crystal Jade. Quite reasonable hi-tea set at $3.80. You get Po Luo Bun, egg tarts, and almond beancurd. Kids loves the melt-in-the-mouth almond beancurd and egg tarts. 

 
Mom bought me many tops and bags from Bangkok, and some more on the way to Singapore. She bought so many things that she came back with an extra luggage and bag.  See my this "SMILE" T-shirt from the Land of Smiles?  I will consider all these my Christmas gifts for this year. :D

P.S. This year is the first time I sent Christmas greetings through Twitter! What a hassle-free novel way of sending greetings even to strangers, although I do still love snail mail. Don't care if the other bloggers know me or not, but I've been following their tweets daily, so they are "familiar" to me.  Merry Christmas, bloggers! Keep on writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...