Monday 18 January 2010

Spring is coming and so is spring cleaning.... :S

How's your weekend? These coming few weekends will be busy for most of us as the Chinese New Year is drawing near and lots of spring cleaning and CNY stuff / food to buy. And I've not really started doing anything yet...  

 
To me, weekends are meant for checking out new places and binging on food. Did you know that there is a new mall in town? It's City Square Mall, located at the junction of Serangoon and Kitchener Roads, sitting on the site of the historic New World Park. It has loads of eateries and shops and 2 huge foodcourts, that you will never be lost for choice. I discovered a new-found love for Pepper Lunch (at the foodcourt on the top floor). Had the pepper rice topped with corn, double unagi and a sunny side egg in a sizzling hot plate. 

 
When an aunt brought grandma over for a visit, we decided to head over her place too, to check out her plants. My aunt lives in a cottage-like corner terrace house and she has a lovely garden with practically all sorts of tropical plants and flowers you can find. It's been some time I been to her house. I used to stay there over the weekends when I was younger. Here are little corners of the house and stuff I like, real cosy. I remember I bought her one of those antique chinese irons.

 
Aunt is an avid gardener and since she is one of the aunts I am closer to, I think the love for plants has sort of rubbed off in me too. I love the veranda at the garden where we sit having afternoon tea and snacks, enjoying the greenery. Her kois in the garden pond are so big now, about 8 or 9 of them. I ended "hijacking" home some of her plants to add to my growing collection at home.  

 
We found the Original Old Hokkien nearby her place. They just shifted here 6 weeks ago and is now located at a coffeeshop.  The other famed Old Hokkien restaurant (their competitor) is in Amoy Street. The owners of both restaurants used to be partners and had a legal tussle over the use of the name a few years ago. We had to order the famed dark Hokkien noodles to try of course. The yellow noodles are thinner with pork slices, prawns, tua tow, with loads of pork lard. It was tasty, but somehow, I am not used to the lack of starchiness in the noodles. I am a lover of Hokkien Noodles so I know a good plate of Hokkien Noodles needs its little starch. We had a huge ass fish head done in HK style with black sauce and stir fried garlic french beans. The french beans were too soft, lost its crunchiness and had a weird taste. My mom said the french beans  I cooked tasted better (yippee!!!) :D. Our moods were dampened because of the long waiting time when there was no customer before us. That said, the Hokkien Noodles is a good try if you are nearby.    
 
This morning I am so excited and happy when I found some of the plants at home had started sprouting flowers when they were barren all along. So timely as CNY is just round the corner, and to me personally, it has a special significance - good luck.

 
Time to throw out the old and invite the new. This is a newer T-shirt of the smurfs. I need to clear my old wardrobe which I no longer wear and send them to Salvation Army. I need to start spring cleaning soon! Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...