Wednesday 10 February 2010

Lighting a candle for a friend

Busy and tiring week for me. A number of personal things to look into before CNY arrives this weekend.


Went for a tsog offering puja in DPL on Monday night. Tsog offering is very important for renewing commitments and averting obstacles. It is a special method through which we come under the care and guidance of the Buddhas and protectors. Our wealth, merit, and great bliss will increase through this practise.

That night just before the puja I had an excruciating tummy ache and I thought I would not be able to go through the entire session. Miraculously when puja started and throughout I did not feel pain at all. It was only when I reached home the pain came back for a while.


As usual, I offered flowers and candle and wrote down the names of the people I was praying for. This time round, I specially lighted a candle for a friend of mine who seemed to be having entanglements with many trouble-makers (petty people). I am very glad to announce that the prayer was especially potent because immediately after the puja that night, she had managed to rid herself of a "perceived trouble-maker", someone whom she claimed she is not comfortable with. I wish her well in her future dealings with people. Sometimes after a puja, that person falls sick. This only means purification. She has not cleared all her growing pool of trouble-makers, but at least one has been banished through this puja. May she have a clear mind to distinguish who are her genuine friends and who are the genuine trouble-makers. May her path be illuminated with brilliance and be without delusions. May the truth and kindness prevail.

It may sound funny, but whenever I make friends with someone, I instinctively somehow know if they are facing some sort of problem at that moment. I am drawn to people who need help. Usually the person does tell me the problems shortly after, and I would try to advise the person on how to address the problem. Usually I do eventually understand somewhat the character of the person (may not be 100% but at least 50% of the time I was right). Call me intense or whatever, I know I treat people how I like to be treated. Normally I hang around because I know the person still need help. And usually after I had helped the person and see some result, I would be extremely happy for that person, even if the person does not appreciate the effort.

My only hope is that my pure intentions are not questioned. I do not wish to have helped someone and then to have the person turned around against me and accused me of this and that afterwards. I do not ask for anything in return, except a genuine friend. Sometimes friends who appear can be a blessing to you and can be beneficial to you. Sometimes friends who left can be a blessing too.

Sometimes if a friend is meant to come and go, it is my karma. We have a connectedness somewhere from the past. But I know I am protected by the Buddhas. Those who could potentially harm me, is only here for a while. Then we move on.

Do you know who is your benefactor and who is your enemy? Can you distinguish which is which?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...