Wednesday 23 February 2011

Zhen Ji Bak Chor Mee

I love my Bak Chor Mee. My mom introduced me to this Bak Chor Mee stall in Bendemeer Market. I have visited them a couple of times. I like watching the Bak Chor Mee uncle perform his act of cooking the ingredients, tossing noodles in hot and then cold water, mixing the sauces with the ingredients and noodles and then topping with braised mushrooms.

Here in Zhen Ji, they also top their Bak Chor Mee with Fried Wantons (Fried Dumplings). Their wantons are actually crispy deep fried skin with a tiny morsel of meat fillings inside. You can also order extra Fried Wantons if you like.

This is Zhen Ji Bak Chor Mee. Nowadays I prefer ordering Mee Pok (flat noodles) instead of Mee Kia (thin round noodles). The ingredients are pork slices, liver, fish cake slices, mushroom, beansprouts, and fried wantons. After mixing everything thoroughly with the sauces and noodles and ingredients, eating this bowl of Bak Chor Mee is a delight. The Mee Pok is firm and not too soggy. The Fried Wantons are wonderful crispy addition plus the little pieces of Pork Lard. My main grouse is I do not like beansprouts in my Bak Chor Mee and this stall uses beansprouts compared to many stall who do not. I also do not really fancy fishcake in BCM. I did not taste any hint of vinegar in the noodles which I wish there is to make the meal more complete.

Zhen Ji has been reviewed by TV shows and publications. And there is always a long queue during peak hours. I would give them a rating of 7/10. 


I have actually discovered another unknown Bak Chor Mee stall in a Upper Boon Keng coffeeshop (near Kallang MRT) which is easily accessible to my place. This stall is called Gu Zao Bak Chor Mee, which is manned by a father and son. I have fallen in love with their BCM. I totally love the ingredients they use: pork slices, liver, meatballs, mushroom, pork lard and combined with their QQ noodles and sauces, it is shiokalicious. They even add abalone mushroom sometimes and I simply love eating the BCM with chilli padi, pork lard and you can ask for more vinegar.  I give them a rating of 7.5/10.

2 comments:

  1. is Bak Chor Mee traditional street food there? or is it something new?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi TMC! Yes, Bak Chor Mee means minced meat noodles and it is a street food here, it's not something new. Singaporeans are very passionate about their BCM, especially the dry version with the ingredients, sauce and vinegar mixed properly with nice noodles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...