Thursday 24 March 2011

Dame Elizabeth Taylor (1932 – 2011)

The legendary Elizabeth Taylor has passed away yesterday on 23 Mar 2011 at the age of 79. She died of heart failure.  A three-time Oscar winner, Elizabeth Taylor had a tumultuous personal life, including 8 marriages and health problems. 

In possibly her last interview with Kim Kardashian on 9 Feb 2011, below are some excerpts of the interview with Elizabeth:

On her personal favourite looks, on or offscreen:
I loved the Edith Head lavender dress that I wore to the Oscars in 1970. It was designed around the Taylor-Burton diamond. Some of the Cleopatra costumes were fun - they even had real gold threads - and I wore them as evening dresses afterward!  I also loved some of the great caftans that I wore in the '60s and '70s with big sunglasses and major jewelry. I love to be casual and comfortable, but I also love the easy glamour of wearing jewelry all the time.


On which actors she would have loved to work with:
I love Johnny Depp, and I love Colin Farrell - both brilliant, nuanced actors with great range.
My little 'creation', Elizabeth with Johnny Depp (top), and with Colin Farrell (bottom)

On being Elizabeth Taylor:
I never planned to acquire a lot of jewels or a lot of husbands. For me, life happened, just as it does for anyone else. I have been supremely lucky in my life in that I have known great love, and of course I am the temporary custodian of some incredible and beautiful things. But I have never felt more alive than when I watched my children delight in something, never more alive than when I have watched a great artist perform, and never richer than when I have scored a big check to fight AIDS. Follow your passion, follow your heart, and the things you need will come.


On being always been ahead of her time and being on Twitter. 
I like the connection with fans and people who have been supportive of me. And I love the idea of real feedback and a two-way street, which is very, very modern. But sometimes I think we know too much about our idols and that spoils the dream. So, like all things, it is to be used with care!

Yes, Elizabeth Taylor was on Twitter, going by the handler @DameElizabeth and I have been following her. The below were her last tweets on 23 July 2010:

No one is going to play Elizabeth Taylor, but Elizabeth Taylor herself.

Not at least until I'm dead, and at the moment I'm having too much fun being alive...and I plan on staying that way. Happiness to all.

I would like to add something to my earlier tweet. Always keep love and humility in your heart. Never let yourself think beyond your means...mental, emotional or any otherwise.

You are who you are. All you can do in this world is help others to be who they are and better themselves and those around them.

Give. Remember always to give. That is the thing that will make you grow. That is the thing that will give back to you all the rewards that there are. Don't do it for yourself, because then it becomes selfish.

Because then it becomes about yourself...which is wrong. Giving is to give to God. Helping is to help others.

Every breath you take today should be with someone else in mind. I love you.

Elizabeth Taylor shopping in Singapore 1957
Elizabeth Taylor in Raffles Hotel, Singapore, 1957.
Flowers and a portrait adorn Elizabeth Taylor's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles. --PHOTO: AP

May you rest in peace, Dame Elizabeth.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...