Thursday 8 January 2009

New lease of life

It happened that I accidentally ruined a grey blouse while trying to remove a stain using a bleach pen. It got worse with a big patch and became unwearable. Not wanting to waste a relatively new piece of blouse, an idea dawned upon me to perhaps try to dye the blouse. I chose maroon out of the many colours available in the Dylon range.

I boiled water in a metal pail, and added the Dylon powder and salt. The dark red solution looked bloody yucky and bloody. Then I soaked my grey blouse into the solution and gently kept stirring for 20 minutes. After that I rinsed the blouse till water was clear and put to dry. My grey blouse has miraculously transformed into a nice maroon blouse!

Then, not wanting to waste the liquid, I picked another 2 white tops made of cotton, on
e a blouse, the other a white Tshirt which were both turning a little yellowish. As it was the second round and because the base was white, the blouse turned a lighter shade of maroon, more towards red (not as dark as the first blouse). The last white T-shirt turned out more towards pink when it was dry.

I am extremely pleased to bits with myself and my "renewed" tops. First, they looked like new clothes. Second, I have recycled and gave the old clothes a new lease of life, no wastage. Third, I saved money instead of buying new clothes, the Dylon powder costs only $3.40 for 3 "new" pieces of clothes. Lastly, they looked just right for the new year! All red! Ingenius.

I shall dig into my wardrobe and see what other clothes need to be given a new lease(colour) of life. :>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...