Thursday 5 February 2009

My golly, macarons

These delightful macarons were an inviting sight. Had a taste of these from Bakerzin because they were on promotion. My niece preferred the ones from BreadTalk though .... Taking it on its own, it was a tad too sweet for me, although if you take it with coffee or tea, would have been just right.

I didn't know the history of Macarons dates all the way back to the 18th century, although they only became popular in our shores in recent years. The macaron is a traditional French pastry made of egg whites, almond powder, icing sugar and sugar. It is a sandwich-like pastry made with two thin cookies and a cream or ganache between the cookies. Macarons come in a wide variety of flavors varying by store and season; ranging from traditional to exotic, with limitless colours and flavours.

Actually if I want to be more "ang moh", I would prefer English scones or carrot cakes to these macarons. But give me my local favourites anytime. They hail from the Chinese provision shops, and they are pineapple jam biscuits or "ice cream piah" (wafers), I am as happy as a lark. The pineapple jam in between the cookies are chewy and sweet, whereas the wafers are fluffy, lighter and less sweet than their ang moh counterparts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...