Saturday 16 January 2010

"Green" dishes

I like to add lots of vegetables even to dishes with meat (then I can  have lesser portion of meat). For this dinner, it looked like I have 3 green dishes. I cooked Steamed Fish again, as I was still trying to perfect the sauce, and it got better and better, I just need to ensure I am consistent each time. I tried cooking a new dish, Stir-fried Spinach topped with Dried Scallops and Wolfberries. I stir fry spinach first with a pinch of salt and sieved it up. Next I steamed a small bowl of dried scallops and wolfberries with a little water. When soft, I poured the bowl into the wok and mixed in a combination of condiments I came up with. Then I poured the scallops and wolfberries and sauce onto the spinach. It turned out very nice, a good mix of light spinach with the salty scallops, not as salty as I expected.


Next was the Pepper Onion Chicken with Broccoli and Capsicum.   I marinated the chicken with sesame oil, corn flour, soya sauce, and pepper. I used lots of chopped onions and garlic together with the chicken, broccoli and capsicum. It had a wonderful 'burnt' peppery taste.


Next was one of my favourite dishes my mom  sometimes cook and I had my first go at it - Minced Pork Luffa Gourd Omelette. Sounds complicated eh? However it was a simple dish to cook. I am not sure if this gourd (inset picture) is called Luffa (丝瓜) or what, it had a rough and hard skin while the inside was spongy soft like cotton. The hard skin had to be peeled and the soft seeds in the center had to be removed.  It looked like a soft version of cucumber. I marinated minced pork with the same condiments of the above chicken. Then I stir fry chopped garlic and minced meat first, before adding the luffa gourd and beaten eggs into the wok. After that, you just add a little salt and fry till the gourd was soft. I threw in some dried shallots just before the dish was ready. What came out was a wonderful fragrant sweet flavoured dish of the combined taste of omelette, pork and slightly crunchy-soft gourd. I really like this dish alot.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...