Saturday 16 March 2013

Long Phung @ 159 Joo Chiat Road

A few months ago, a friend Tetty brought me and another friend to a Vietnamese restaurant along Joo Chiat Road. Long Phung is at the corner of a row of shophouse, occupying an unit which is not very big for a restaurant. It was about 7pm and it was already full, and there was a queue. We waited for a while for our table. The dinner turned out to be an enjoyable experience with authentic Vietnamese cuisine and very reasonable prices. 
Here are some of the dishes we ordered to share.  The usual Viet Spring Rolls (goi cuon) were fresh and crunchy accompanied by an appetising tangy sauce.  Another must-have is Goi Xoai - the Green Mango Salad with Pork, Shrimp with crunchy onion bits. It was slightly different from the usual Thai salad, and a very delightful mix. My favourite was Grilled Pork with Vermicelli (Thit Nuong) which came with Fried Spring Rolls (Cha Gio). The vermicelli was plain but when mixed with the pork and veggies and sauces, the taste was worth awesome and healthy too. My friend ordered coconut drink to cool off too.
Visiting a Viet restaurant is not complete without ordering their Pho Tai - Beef Noodle Soup. As I do not take beef, my friend said it had a great broth with loads of beef and beef balls which were handmade. For sides, we also ordered Garlic See Ham with out-of-this-world chilli sauce. I took a couple, but I think my 2 friends loved this dish more than I did. There was also Stir Fry Kang Kong, very crunchy and with the charcoal wok hei. One thing I like about dining in a Viet or Thai restaurant is the array of sauces available. 

I ordered this cold Tamarind drink (Nuoc Da Me) which was sooooo good and went very well with the dishes. 

This restaurant is doing very very good business, as there is perenially a queue and they serve an interesting wide variety of dishes with authentic Vietnamese flavour. The prices are reasonable and portions satisfying. And another plus point is there is not GST or service charge. I would definitely visit Long Phung again very soon. 

Long Phung Vietnamese Restaurant 
Tel: +65 9105 8519
Opening Hours: 1pm – 2am
Address: 159 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...