Monday 26 January 2009

First day of the Ox Year

The first day of CNY usually I would have guests visiting us. They are my mom's younger siblings and their families and dad's younger siblings. Mom will normally whip up a few dishes for the guests. This year, it was a big pot of chicken curry, big pot of fishball and veg soup, braised pork leg, E-fu noodles, mixed vegetables as well as roti prata. There was also Cheng tng for dessert, plus all the more than 10 types of CNY goodies. Yes, and I ended up as the one frying the roti prata piece by piece in the sauna of our kitchen! This is because my kitchen is very windy, so when we cook, we have to close the windows in case the fire goes off.

This year, my house was full mostly with my mom's side of the family. My cousins, mostly boys, and my uncles can eat more. My mom also invited some foreign students from her school, who have no families here. They are gifted students from Vietnam who are here on scholarship.

After all the guests had left in the late afternoon, I went to the ATM to deposit some cash and then quickly paid a visit to the temple to offer light to Shakyamuni Buddha and flowers to Guanyin and Amitabha Buddha. Today was an auspicious and merit-multiplying day, so I had to pay respects to the Buddhas. Also due to this reason, for the first time on CNY day, I am taking only vegetarian food for today.

I hurried back home to receive more guests this evening. On the way back in the cab, the driver turned out to be a very devoted Buddhist and was relating to me about the miracles of Buddha he personally encountered. Wow, I was glad to meet a fellow brother in Dharma.

I was so busy serving guests the whole day I did not have the chance to snap photos of my guests or the food. I only managed to capture this photo of mom and dad in our CNY-ish house this morning. Hehe, we all wore CNY colours as well. I wore a red top, mom wore pinkish flowery top, and even dad wore a dark red polo shirt. Did you wear your red underwear as well? :D

Today was a nice heartening day. May my family have a smooth and prosperous year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...